Wednesday, June 30, 2021

My Last Day Working Full-Time

 It was thirty eight years and seven months ago that I started my first full-time job at Pace University in New York City working in the Student Activities Office as an Activities Coordinator.  The first couple full-time jobs I wasn't in for very long, but it was a start to my career.

About two months ago, I decided that I wasn't going to continue working full-time as a courier and on Friday I left the job as an independent contractor after close to 3 1/2 years.  The company had gotten into delivering to more homes recently and I had enough of driving on dirt roads and walking up flights of stairs and looking for houses with no numbers on them.  It was taking me an extra hour or two or sometimes three hours and the compensation was not nearly enough.

Financially, there have been a number of things that have happened this year to help, including an inheritance when I lost my Dad a few months ago.  With the demand for Uber rides at a very high level and there being a shortage of drivers, it makes sense to Uber another day or two in addition to the weekend.  With my supervisor retiring in the middle of June, I gave four weeks notice so I could help with the transition. Transitions almost never go smoothly and as I expected, this one did not either.

Friday was my final day and I arrived at work at around 4:40 am. Ironically, I chose to deliver food to about 35 houses which I knew would take most of the day. (the main reason I was leaving) The week would end with me delivering less pieces than I have in about three years, but I was literally counting the pieces as they left my van.  My last three deliveries happened to be very close to each other in the same neighborhood, which hardly ever happened.

I finished up and stopped back at the warehouse and after closing the gate I took a picture and sent it to my family.  The picture below looked like I had just gotten out of prison, but then I got a text from my wife wanting to know what happened to my tooth.  I had no idea and could not see that my tooth seemed crooked. The smile on my face was real and I headed home to begin being semi-retired.

And now, I can catch up on a few blogs that I haven't had any time to write for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment