Wednesday, June 30, 2021

JUNE RIDER STORIES

 "UNIQUE": For some parents picking a name for a child is a very difficult and long process, but for others it can be ridiculously simple.  The young woman in my car was using the name, "love," (on the Uber app), but her real name was even more interesting.  Her mom said to her dad, "we have to pick a unique name for her." His response was, "that's the name." Her unique name, is actually "Unique", and she wears it well, because it does describe her. She had been in nursing school and felt that experiencing the pain and illness that others had was wearing her down and affecting her personality, so she changed careers.  She lives and works in the northeast in real estate and definitely has the personality and verbal skills to do well in the field.  If you think her name is unique, one of her brother's name is: "Wulf."


THE KNIFE THROWER: I've had some "unique" riders in my car, but my first ride on a Saturday was from a hospital and he surprised me throughout the trip with his story.  He was okay it seemed except for the bandage on his hand which covered a very bad 3 inch cut.  He was juggling knives which relaxes him.  He's supposedly an expert of many years in handling knives, but made a mistake by briefly losing his concentration.  He was obviously very bright as he discussed many different topics with me and he thanked me for the conversation.  He received an honorable discharge from the Air Force after they discovered he had several medical issues that he still deals with daily. One interesting quote from him was, "I didn't want a job that I had to kill people, I don't know how my soul would take it." Right now he's on disability for a number of issues, but he wants to work and be productive and be a good example for his daughter.  I was impressed with him and I hope things work out for him, because he does have a lot of different talents, although he probably should spend less time juggling knives.


THE UNIQUE CHEF: Driving in two tourist areas, Myrtle Beach and Charleston, it is very common to pick up a chef and there are days I have several chefs in my car.  However, this was not just a chef.  He had take a job helping out in a kitchen for a friend and then it turned into being a full-time chef which he wasn't really planning on.  He typically works 7 days a week and occasionally takes a day off when he's reached his limit.  Originally from Ohio, he had spent some time in jail and decided to work on his physical strength.  For several months he did 10,000 pushups a day.  He told me he did several hundred an hour and a doctor discovered this kind of workout actually changed some of the bone structure in his upper body.  He is still dedicated to working out and he carries with him a kettle bell that weighs thirty pounds and it keeps his arms strong.  This is one chef you don't want to mess around with, but he was a very down to earth and nice guy and it was very interesting having him in my car.


THE HAWAIIAN: The woman has lived in Hawaii with her husband, who is in the air force, for the past seven years and they both love it there. They had asked to stay longer and will be there another two years.  Although she isn't a Hawaiian, you can tell that she has been very accepted by the natives and has been fascinated by the culture.  She is the first person I've had in my car who has said they really enjoyed living there.  The common refrain I've gotten in the past is that it is a great place to visit, but not to live and others have had trouble getting along with the natives.  She did say it was very expensive to live, but she enjoyed working with children and raising her two kids there.  It was was good to hear something different from Hawaii and I'm sure this woman will enjoy whatever her next destination will be.



No comments:

Post a Comment