Wednesday, June 9, 2021

When Do You Feel Old?

I think the first time I felt "old" was about 1986 when I was 26 years old.  I worked for a business school and shared an office with Gary, who is a long-time friend. (Hi Gary) There was an extra phone in the room and the admissions department had a high school student working part-time calling potential leads to see if they were interested in visiting our school.  Gary had his radio on and when a great song ended, the "young" girl said something like, "that was a good song, what's the name of it?" It was "Hey Jude", by the Beatles, still one of the greatest songs ever put out.

Recently I felt old when I found out that my three kids were discussing what I should do when I'm semi-retired at the end of the month.  My son told me, "we have a plan."  My oldest daughter said that when her and her sister visit in a couple weeks we can talk about some possible hobbies for me.

I am amused and also curious as to what these three very bright kids have in mind. My wife and I joke that we don't know who the real parents are, but they must have been very smart.  I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to find the time to do all the things I want to do, but I will listen to their advice.  Below are a few of hobby suggestions they may have:

1. Weightlifter: Over the past three years I have gotten stronger from lifting boxes of paper and other packages. Below is a picture of four boxes, each that weighed 80 pounds.  I picked each of them up, (two hands) and put them on a dock that was shoulder high and then stacked them on top of each other.  Maybe lifting a lot of weights would be more fun than I had today lifting those boxes?





2. Sumo Wrestler: From what I know, you have to have a big stomach and knowledge about wrestling.  My mother-in-law recently told me I had a belly and boy, was I surprised! When I was in Junior High, my friend Larry and I were in the same weight class for wrestling. (about 85 pounds) I don't remember who used to win our matches, but I can beat him now-we are no longer in the same weight class. Maybe pushing around another overweight man in his underwear would be fun?

3. Car Waxer: Not too long ago I was making a delivery and I saw a guy waxing his black car.  It looked really good so I bought some spray on wax and I used it on my 2018 car with over 200,000 miles on it.  It looked better, but I really don't know a lot about waxing.  How often do you do it? Do you dry it off a certain way? When I get my new car, can you wax a new car? Should you? There's so much to learn about this, it might be a good hobby.

4. Master Chef: A hobby is supposed to be something you can spend a lot of time on and this would demand a lot of time. Since I'd be starting at "ground zero," I might need ten hours a week for the rest of my life. I used to cook pasta, but I have no recollection on how long you cook it for.  I think you just pull a piece of pasta out and if it's still hard, you're not there yet. I love to eat, so this might be the right hobby.

5. Philanthropist: How much money do you have to have to be a philanthropist? I wouldn't say I have a lot, but can you give $20 to a bunch of people or charities? Giving away a little bit might be fun, but I don't think I know enough about this yet, but I'll have some time soon to find out.

I think you can see that I really don't need any help, because these are just a few possibilities for my new hobbies.









\

No comments:

Post a Comment