Wednesday, April 24, 2019

The Fountain of Youth

After you hit a certain age most people want to look younger than they really are.  I've never given it much thought, although sometimes I'm surprised that I'm almost 59 years old.  I don't feel that old, other than a few mornings I get up really, really slowly and of course when I pour orange juice in my cereal.

I've always heard that if you want to stay young, you hang around young people and you do things that young people do. (not climbing trees)  I'll take that a little further.  If you want to keep looking young, hang around people who look young.  I'm fortunate to have a wife who looks much younger than she is.  Many people are surprised when she says she has a daughter who is 29 years old.  I think a lot people think she's in her mid-forties and she's even had some guys in their twenties "hit" on her.  She's surprised by that, but I'm not.

As for me, people ask me if I'm retired and call me an old man.  When a rider asks me if I came down here to retire, I tell them I'm much too young to retire and my wife is even younger.  I usually wave two fingers in the air at my passenger in the backseat and then tell them she's two years younger. (so they don't think I was just giving them the peace sign)

However, today was really unique and I have to admit I enjoyed it.  I was loading my van next to a co-worker who I'll call Brendan and we had to take off about half a dozen 44 pound boxes of paper.  The part-time worker, who I'll call Larry, commented to Brendan that I was working faster than he was and he said something like I was an old man.

Brendan, who is 30 or 31 said this: "HE'S NOT MUCH OLDER THAN I AM."  If  I had been carrying one of those heavy boxes I would have dropped it on my foot.  How funny is that? I'm almost twice his age and he thought I was only a little bit older than he was.

I can't wait to tell my wife in a few minutes.  I hope this doesn't mean that young women are going to "hit" on me-I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face.

It feels pretty good to be in my thirties again.  It's 9:30 pm and I'm about ready to go to sleep. Do people in their thirties stay up later?

No comments:

Post a Comment