Thursday, November 21, 2019

Courier Road Tales

It almost doesn't seem fair that most of my good stories come from driving for Uber/Lyft compared to driving as a courier.  I spend about ten hours more a week delivering as a courier and I make about 50-60 deliveries more than I give Uber/Lyft rides each week.  However, there are some funny courier moments and these are a few I've accumulated over the last few months.

Today, I was in the warehouse working when the warehouse worker made me burst out laughing.  Our supervisor had just had surgery and cannot lift anything for three weeks and he's really struggling not handling any boxes.  He keeps picking up small things and the warehouse guy and I have been kind of scolding him. So, I said to the worker, "we may have to tie him up.'  His reply to me was, "you should do more work."  Never in my life has anyone told me I should work more and he may have been have joking, but it didn't sound like that.

Sometimes the reception I get when I walk into a place with a delivery, surprises me.  I've had women say to me, "you're my favorite person" or, "I love you." (it's a little much for a few boxes)  Not too long ago a woman greeted me with, "you're my hero."  I asked her if she could sing it for me like the song, but she didn't go for it and just laughed.

A week ago the weather here was fall-like for me.  It was in the 50's and people were freezing.  As I made a delivery, the woman said that she was so cold and I said, "I'm wearing shorts."  Her reply was, "I can't even look at you wearing no pants."  I started laughing and I drowned out the rest of her sentence and she started laughing when she realized what she said.  She couldn't remember the rest of the sentence, but we did have a good laugh together.

It's going to be in the mid to high 60's tomorrow and my shorts are ready.  With any luck I'll get to deliver to the same woman again.  I just don't think I can walk in and announce, "I'm not wearing pants again."

No comments:

Post a Comment