Wednesday, February 7, 2024

You Can Start A New Hobby At Any Age

 (For some reason this blog post when it was sent out came out messed up. On my website it was fine.  I changed the picture and I'm making a second attempt with this post)

A few years ago when I semi-retired I thought about some of the things I could do with my free time such as, could I learn to play the guitar? Could someone retire around sixty, start swimming and swim competitively into their 90's?  Ok, I didn't think up that one, but am I too late?

Canadian, Bettie Brussell, is 99 years old and she just broke three world records in her age group which is 100-104. (How many people could there be in her age group?)  Guess when she started swimming? Yes, she started after retiring around 60 years old as a seamstress. 

She grew up in the Netherlands as one of twelve children and never had time for hobbies. Her first swimming competition was when she was 66 years old. She explained, "The pool is my happy place. I always feel better when I get out of the pool than when I get in."

She broke the 400-meter freestyle, the 50-meter backstroke and the 50-meter breaststroke. In July, she will turn 100 and she's in good health. She takes no medication and on days she doesn't swim, she takes a 45-minute walk.

She believes that her good health is the result of her being very active.  So, if you're looking to start a new hobby, I would suggest one that makes you more active. Can you ride a stationary bike and play the guitar at the same time?


























                                                




No comments:

Post a Comment