Friday, March 29, 2024

The Ultimate Challenge

 As a 63-year-old man living the last six years in South Carolina, what would be his ultimate challenge?

Would it be parachuting out of a plane? No.

Would it be climbing a mountain? No.

Would it be running a marathon? No.

How about taking a 45-minute walk at 7 am in New Jersey when it's 23 degrees?

Last Friday morning I knew I had to get my exercise after being in the car all day Thursday driving to New Jersey to visit our daughter and son-in-law.  This is what I looked like as I left the house.


Since my blood has thinned some since leaving New Jersey, this was my preparation:

1. On top of my this sweatpants I put on another pair of sweatpants.

2. I had five layers of clothing.  First I had on a thin, long-sleeved shirt. Secondly, I wore a long-sleeved shirt.  Third, I had on a sweatshirt.  Fourth, I had a Lehigh University hoodie.  Fifth,  I put on a somewhat thin black jacket.

3. I had to slip out of the house without disturbing Amber the Cat pictured below. (Not related to Felix) If you look closely you can see she is watching me as I put on my sneakers as she drinks from her "Jetson-like" water fountain.


4. Pretending I am casually walking towards the door, I make a break for it and open the door to the garage. I open the garage door and I'm ready to walk without gloves into the New Jersey winter weather.

When I returned, my hands were warm and I felt good.  One challenge remained: will Amber the Cat notice me coming in? Should I take my layers of clothing off in the garage or can I sneak by her without her noticing me?

No comments:

Post a Comment