Wednesday, April 3, 2024

MY MOST MEMORABLE RIDER COMMENTS IN MARCH


The young Jamaican cashier said, "My co-worker told me if I don't wear green tomorrow for St. Patrick's Day, someone will pinch me.  I wish someone would pinch me, because I want to punch someone." (Laughing)

She: "I didn't want to go see "Mean Girls"; we have some of them in our neighborhood."

I asked the grandmother of eight children, "How do you watch them all at the same time?" She said simply, "Melatonin."

She: "I once had a tour guide who handed out envelopes with his name on it and then he told us how much we should tip him. A lot of people were angry."

The male in his 30's who studied film in college, admitted, "I love horror movies, but I'm afraid of dolls." (including my mannequin) I asked him, "What's your three favorite movies?" He replied, "Grapes of Wrath,"  "Citizen Kane", and "The House of a Thousand Corpses."

She: "When I first saw him I thought, "What an idiot!" (Married 25 years) "That's the only question we got right when we were on the Newlywed Game."

He told me, "When I was seventeen I was diagnosed with Leukemia, but I've been cancer free now for thirteen years."

The young musician who tours the country said, "There are songs of the times and there are timeless songs."

I asked how they met and she said, "We met in Myrtle Beach on the beach New Year's Eve and we've been back here celebrating on New Year's Eve for twenty-five years."

He said, "I created a new app that just went into the app store.  It's called BOTI, it's a boating social network.  If you want to hang out on a boat and meet people, it's like a dating app."

I asked how they met and she said, "I cleaned his house and never left. He didn't want to lose me."

The GI doctor in his own practice said, "Hospitals are going bankrupt and doctors are leaving private practice because they can't get insurance companies to pay.  We write off 1-2 million dollars each year because they won't pay, sometimes 70% of claims are not paid."

I asked him, "How did you get the name Lucky?" He said, "My dad named me, because I almost didn't make it."

He's a hydrographer and told me about his work under the Ravenel Bridge, (Between Mt. Pleasant and Charleston) "There are still large amounts of debris from the two bridges that were blown up in 2005 and they will be removed."

He was trying to say something else, but this came out about his girlfriend, "She keeps my blood pressure going." She added, "I am your cardio."

After telling him my old story where a rider told a Hitler joke that wasn't a joke, he had a better line that he delivered laughing, "You really have to land the Hitler joke if you tell one."

I asked the accountant, "Do you like numbers?" He replied, "It helps me feel like the world is in order."

She: "When we were getting married our pastor sent us to a class and we had to each answer 150 different questions.  Our answers were put in an envelope and we were told not to open it until we were married 30 years. It's 32 years now and we want to open them with our kids who are in their 20's so they can get something out of it too."

He: "Many years ago my dad was offered a great job at a Harlem Hospital.  My mom had gone to a psychic who told her that my dad should not take the job because he would be murdered.  He didn't take it and within a year, the person who took the job was murdered in the hospital parking lot. The same psychic advised Richard Nixon to get his eyes done after he lost the Presidential Election in 1960 when he looked badly in the television debate. He got his eyes done and was elected President in 1968.

I asked the couple from the Virginia area, "How did you meet?" He: I'm a full-time Uber driver and I accepted a scheduled ride a week earlier.  I thought about canceling during the week, but I felt badly for the rider." She: "I was going to a winery in the middle of  nowhere so I scheduled it early.  My friend was going with me, but canceled. I would have canceled the ride, but I knew the driver had accepted it.  I was hoping he would cancel, but he didn't." (Getting married in two months)


                                        SOME MORE COMMENTS

He is the only rider so far to say that he thought I should show Saddam Hussein's picture on the Iraq bill in my car.  His explanation was thought provoking: "We have a front mirror and a rear view mirror and it's important to be able to look through both of them."

The author was doing research at a plantation on Easter Sunday and found information she never expected to get and was ecstatic, "Such a great Sunday."

She sells men's clothes: "It's the lowest title I've had, but the most money I've made."

I  asked her, "What does your name Alanud mean?"  She said, "Stubborn, actually strong willed and independent."

He: "I own a sandwich shop in the Boston area and all the sandwiches are named for radio people."

I asked her, "How did you adjust from moving from a cold weather climate to the South?" She: "I was sweaty for a couple years. My blood did thin out."

She had a few drinks, but every time I got to the end of  a rider comment or story, she yelled out, "Shut up!" 

"Rice taste better in Japan."

I asked the woman who has been married 32 years, what's the secret to a successful marriage?" She said, "Respect and talking to each other. I never saw my parents fighting, I don't know how they settled their differences."

Fireman: "There aren't as many fires as there used to be. We use an ambulance a lot more."

I asked the spinal surgeon, "How long were you in school?" He: "I think it's been a ten-year journey."

She: "I fell in love with being an ER nurse."

"I left Sweden because I couldn't take the weather anymore."

Originally from New Jersey: "People don't give New Jersey enough credit, it's absolutely gorgeous.  There's a reason it's called, "The Garden State."

He: "In Ukraine, they have different sized money to help blind people."

I asked the server if she knew what next week was, "It's St. Patty's Day-we're going to make hundreds of dollars!"

Running late for church on Easter Sunday, she told me, "I'm going to have to bike to church."


COMMENTS ABOUT LILY MY MANNEQUIN

Looking at my female mannequin head, she said, "I thought there was a camera in there, I was waving at it."

When he saw Lily as he got in the car, "I almost jumped out of my pants."

He was laughing as he got in the car and I said, "It's good to see you laughing at my mannequin, not everyone does." He: "That's because not everyone has a sense of humor."

She: "You're beautiful."


COMMENTS ABOUT ME AND MY CAR

After a great ride the young woman from Pennsylvania said, "God was speaking to me this weekend to bring cash so I could buy your book. This was the greatest Uber ride I've ever had."

She had a beautiful first and middle name and when I told her that my wife and I named our youngest daughter, "Marisa Ciara," she replied, "You and your wife have great taste."

One of my riders I've driven several times and I quoted him twice in my book. He said, "I'm honored to have met you.  Your two lists are in frames on my nightstand. This one will go up on the wall."

"So glad I met you. You're the best Uber driver ever."

"I like this car a lot."

She: "You were meant to do this."

He: "I appreciate the conversation."

The female college student said, "This is genuinely maybe one of my favorite Uber rides ever."

"It' wonderful that you enjoy doing this so much."

Telling him it was a great story and it would have been in my book, he said, "What's wrong with a second book?"

The Uber driver said, "You're my favorite Uber driver."

She: "I canceled two rides before yours. I'm so glad we got you."

Nurse from PA. she said, "This is the best ride I've ever had."

She: "I'm almost crying, I love being in your car."

She: "This is the cleanest car I've been in some time."

She: "You're amazing."

She said about my rider money museum, "It's beautiful that you're doing this."

She: "I have to give you a hug."

She: "I've been in a lot of Uber's and I've never seen anything like this."

She: "This is awesome, you're in the right field."

"This is the best Uber I've ever been in."

She: "This the best ride I've ever had."

She: "This is the most colorful ride I've ever had."

Giving me a $2 tip he said, "I'm sorry it's not foreign money." (For my car)




No comments:

Post a Comment