Saturday, December 30, 2017

GRITS

Do you have to eat grits to be a "real" southerner? I doubt it, but what is grits really?  My only recollection of grits was from the movie, "My Cousin Vinny" and they didn't look real good on that breakfast plate.  I thought it looked like pancakes with some kind of liquid which was not syrup, but I may be mistaken.

The week before re-locating to South Carolina from New Jersey my son took me to a Southern Barbecue place and one of the sides was "grits."  I had a couple bites, but it looked more like rice and I'm not sure I can describe what they tasted like.  I didn't finish them, but my son ate the whole thing, maybe he should be the one re-locating down south.

I'm ready for the challenge and someday soon I will come face to face with grits again and maybe things will end differently, but maybe not.  Grits may not be for everyone, but I'll give it another shot.  And if I don't like them, there's always Schlumpia.(see Uncle Larry's Schlumpia.com for further explanation)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll eventually start liking grits and then you can have a few Pastrami Reuben Schlumpia with a side of grits. Love the blog and enjoy the adventure!!!

    ReplyDelete