Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Y'ALL

It finally happened.  I wanted "y'all" to know I have now completed phase one of "becoming a southerner."  It was bound to happen, just a matter of time.  I really did say it.  I was living in South Carolina for 436 days before I said "y'all" in a sentence.

This past Saturday, March 9th, I was driving a few people in Charleston, when the magic words came out.  I said, "are you just visiting or are y'all living here? I covered my mouth with one hand,(since I was driving) and then told the group what I had said.

It's true that I didn't have an accent when I said it, but it came out naturally.  Now I know that it could happen at any time on any day.  I hear it so often it's almost surprising that it took this long to say those words.  What happens if I say it in April when I''m visiting New Jersey?

Now that "y'all" is behind me, could grits and playing golf be far behind? Yes, they are still far, far, behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment