Friday, July 17, 2020

"I Enjoyed Mowing the Lawn"

I've been mowing lawns for many decades and for the most part, I have enjoyed mowing the lawn.  Probably not as much when I was a kid in Junior High School or High School, but certainly when I've had my own lawn.  It's good exercise and there's a certain amount of satisfaction to see the lawn cut and looking nice.

Here in South Carolina, I bought a push mower that uses no gas, is light to push, and makes very little noise.  I've actually talked on the phone a few times while I mowed the lawn.  It really has been the most fun I've had mowing lawns in my whole life.  When we started out here we had very little grass to cut, but that's no longer the case.

We've replaced grass and fertillized it and watered it and when I say "we", I mean specifically my wife has been working on this.  In addition to planting dozens and dozens of flowers, plants and occasional trees, she's been working on our lawn and it looks amazing. It is growing a tremendous amount with all the rain we've had this past month.

We decided to move the blade down on the mower to get a closer "shave."  When I say "we", once again, I mean my wife.  I held the mower and she lowered the blade.  It wasn't difficult from where I was standing and she's just a lot better at these things than I am.  The other day on the way home I was looking forward to cutting the lawn to see what it would look like with a closer "shave."

As I pulled into the driveway I was surprised to see the lawn looked incredible and it was cut.  My wife, for the first time in her life, mowed the lawn.  She told me, "I enjoyed mowing the lawn." She wanted to help me out because I had a late day and she wanted to see what it was going to look like.

I'm wondering though, am I now not going to be able to enjoy mowing the lawn, because she's going to want to do it before I get home? What if I never have to mow the lawn again? I think I'd miss it, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment