Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Tom Carvel Gets a New Customer

In 1929 at the age of 23, Tom Carvel started selling soft ice cream on a vendor truck.  Five years later and 82 years ago on Memorial Day, he got a flat tire next to a pottery store.  With his ice cream melting he made a deal with the pottery store to sell his ice cream in the store and he sold out that day.  In 1951, he celebrated his 100th store and introduced my favorite Carvel ice cream, the flying saucer pictured below.

The flying saucer was one of only two foods left from my celebration of my 60th birthday last year and I was going to eat one in NJ a week or so ago.  I had it all planned out that I would leave my daughter's house and on my way to my sister's house, I was going to stop in Somerset, NJ and GET ME SOME!

When I arrived at my daughter's to have lunch she said she had desert for me and I knew immediately. I told her I had a surprise for her.  Sure enough, after a great Italian lunch at a local restaurant, she "surprised" me with a Carvel flying saucer.  I told her I was going to get one anyway, but the bigger surprise was that my son-in-law, had never had one and he loved it.  The picture below is us just before we enjoyed it.

I have a feeling I'm going to eat one at their house again and I can't wait!










No comments:

Post a Comment