Wednesday, July 28, 2021

"To Mask or Not To Mask", Is That Really The Question?

Shakespeare's Hamlet had it much easier with his famous words, "to be or not to be." This has been a question throughout the world for the past 16 months, but probably nowhere in the world has the debate been fiercer than in the USA.  We are known for being independent and outspoken.  Last year on July 4th, I had a Cuban passenger who said, "You can't tell Americans what to do, that's what I love most about this country."  There are pluses and minuses to being this independent and passionate about doing what you want to do.

Uber/Lyft drivers are dealing with complete strangers getting in their car.  Have they been vaccinated? Will they wear a mask? Do they have to? The way it works for an Uber driver is that when they go on the app to drive they agree to wear a mask and follow the CDC suggestions for safety.  Passengers before they order the ride, they also are told they need to wear a mask.  Closed transportation places should be wearing masks, but that doesn't mean people are doing it.

The debate was in full force on the Uber/Lyft Facebook site this past week.  These are actual comments made by different drivers.  We are independent contractors and not employees and we are driving in our own car. However, take note of how passionate people are and it may help you understand how the rest of the country feels about wearing a mask.

FOR USING A MASK: "Why doesn't everyone just fall in line and comply? Comply, comply, comply-jeesh, it's like these Bozos don't trust the news or our government to protect us from all bad things always.

"I have no problem with people who want to practice "Self-Elimination." (formally known as suicide)

AGAINST USING A MASK: "I don't wear masks, don't make passengers wear one if they don't want to. If I have psycho one who wants to wear it, fine."

"Because it's easier to breathe without a germ infested diaper on my face."

"Because I don't fucking care. I've already been exposed and I'm sick of the government trying to rule our lives."

"I've never wore one since day one.  You puppets are the reason we are in this situation now! You're dumb as a box of rocks if you're thinking a mask is gonna save you."

MY OPINION: If I'm agreeing when I sign on each day I drive, I need to keep my word. It is that simple.  Secondly, almost all of these people are strangers.  I don't know if they are vaccinated or not.  It's common sense to still have them masked.  I give anyone a mask if they don't have it and I've had only one person refuse and she insisted I cancel the ride. She wound up paying for not getting a ride. Thirdly, if a rider dishonestly reports me for not wearing a mask, I could be unable to drive and it's not worth that risk.  My mask is always around my neck to put on easily.(made by my oldest daughter) Fourth, forty per cent of people who get the virus have no symptoms, how do you protect yourself from people who don't know they are sick? Fifth, If I had it or get it and don't know it, I could infect someone else.  That is not something I could feel proud about. 

People are different and they think differently.  The above comments are all drivers doing the same work in the same area and everyone feels that they are right. What would Hamlet say?

















No comments:

Post a Comment