Monday, July 4, 2022

Happy 4th July-How Many Hot Dogs Are You Eating Today?

Since it's a big holiday today, Independence Day, it's a good time to look at something very important in our society-eating hot dogs.  According to The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, Americans eat about 20 billion hot dogs a year and in 2020 about 261 million Americans ate hot dogs. About 150 million hot dogs are eaten on July 4th and 19 million hot dogs were eaten during the 2020 baseball season. (2021 stats are not out, they may be still counting) 

I am sure that the council is not biased at all with their estimates, but they also say that the average American eats 70 hot dogs a year. I don't consider myself average, but 70 hot dogs a year? I'm not eating that many, so who is eating my share of the 70?  I don't eat 70 rotisserie chickens a year, so why would I eat 70 hot dogs? 

Joey Chestnut is the champion hot dog eater.  He is listed as a competitive eater and has won the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest fourteen times.  Last year, he ate 76 hot dogs and buns in ten minutes.  He finished off in ten minutes the amount of hot dogs that the average American eats in a year.  Maybe he's eating my hot dog amount? Here he is in action.  I think watching me eat a chicken may be more appealing.



Illinois is know as "The Hot Dog Capital of The World" and apparently Chicago is know for it's hot dogs due to Jewish immigrants who became vendors to make a living there. There is even a Hot Dog University in Illinois that teaches you everything you need to know about hot dogs.

All I know is that I am not eating a hot dog today, but you go right ahead and eat a couple for me. I'm going to stay home and see if we have any more chicken in the house.


No comments:

Post a Comment