Wednesday, September 27, 2023

My Most Memorable Rider Comments in September

The Jamaican said he was a performer. Me: "Why are you in town? Him: "I'm singing on a yacht tonight." Me: "That would make a great title for a song." He: "It would." He started writing and singing the song immediately. His stage name is Jah Teff and I'm Jeff.

The young woman was explaining how they drive in the Philippines: "They drive erotically." (erratically)

The women had a few drinks with lunch and one attorney said to the other, "Do you really think Ronald McDonald is a pedophile?"

My side door slides and it's heavy and sometimes it takes someone three times to do it. The young woman used one finger to shut it and when I asked how, she said, "It's a girl thing, we multi-task."

Me: "How did you two meet?" Him: I chased her for twelve years and nine months. One day she contacted me and asked if I had plans that weekend and that we should do something fun.  She also made plans with with me for a second date." (Dating 6 months)

Me: "Where are you from?" The young woman with the thick accent said, "Yemen." Me: "Yemen?" Her: "No, Yemen." After doing this several times, she spelled out, Myanmar.  Me: "What does your name "Mya" mean?" She: "Omelette." "Me: "Omelette?" Her: "No." Her name means, emerald.

Getting in the car at 7 am when the temperature was 66 degrees, the young Jamaican said, "Can you put the heat on?" One week later she said the same thing when it was 73 degrees.

"I was in New York City visiting my sister and I ordered an Uber and the license plate did not match the app.  He also had a mannequin in his passenger seat. My sister said not to get in and I didn't." Me: "Take a picture of my mannequin and send it to her and tell her you're in an Uber."

She: "How you do anything is how you do everything."

The Jamaican woman said, "Jamaicans and the cold, we ain't friends."

Women in the army: "We took an Uber back to our helicopter after landing to get some dinner. Our Uber driver couldn't believe we landed in a place that doesn't have planes coming in, so we opened the gates and let her drive onto the runway and see the helicopter."

I asked the very positive Starbucks manager from the Chicago area, "How do you deal with negative people?" She said, "You have to make sure that their negativity doesn't break down on your positivity."

Young guy working at a financial company, "I once sent 52 million dollars to Russia by mistake during a time their were sanctions against them.  We got it back."

He: "I don't have a Super Bowl ring to show you, can I give you a New York Transit card or an insurance card?"

I asked the three women, "What do you do for work?" One woman said, "We're intellectual property attorneys."

Woman: "Bill Murray was playing golf in a charity event and I was told to get him a bottle of tequila. He looked better after he drank it and I had to get him another one."

Wife pointing to her husband after visiting the US Yorktown in Mt. Pleasant: "He was on it twice." He said, "I served nine months on it twice and the last one was in 1965. I was young and stupid back then."

The salesman on commission told me: "If you don't kill it, you don't eat.'

Woman from West Virginia: "In March 2022, I won a $130,000 rig. I feel very blessed."

He: "I moved from the front end of the restaurant to the kitchen, because more people have turned into assholes."

Woman: "My grandfather always said, 'If you're not having fun, what 's the point.' My goal is to always have fun."

I asked the guy from San Diego, "What do you do for work?" He replied, "My best. I'm in the entertainment business." At the end of the ride he had me write down his name, Omega Kayne, and told me, "Look it up, you'll be surprised." He's been an actor, director, and writer for thirty years.

He told me: "I grew up with Daniel Jones (New York Giants quarterback) and played basketball with him in Charlotte.  Me: "I had a rider who told me she dated him for I think two years."  He: "Oh, I know who that is." (He showed me a picture of him and Daniel Jones years ago)


The Citadel cadet told me: "The Ravenel Bridge was built by three Citadel graduates, one was an engineer, another an inspector and the other was an architect."

Woman: "I was working in DC on 9-11. I usually don't drive to work, but that morning I decided to. After the attack they sent us home early.  The subways weren't working, but I was able to drive several people home.  I was only 8 miles away and it took three hours, but I was lucky to have my car."

She said she wasn't looking forward to her long trip. "I'm going to Boston, Japan, and the Philippines and then I'm going to the Octoberfest in Germany in October."  Joking with her I said, "That sounds terrible, I feel badly for you."

He: "My great grandfather won a large sum of money and helped build Darlington Raceway with it."

Me: "Have you ever gotten a gift from an Uber driver?" She: "I once got a small bottle of perfume."

His advice to his wife when she's packing for a trip, "Better to pack it, then to need it."

The male chef said, "I went to Disney University twice and I'd do it again."

The Cowboy fan said as he walked away from me, "Go Cowboys-I like the Giant too.'

She: "The best part of our trip to Alaska was flying in a helicopter up to the glaciers."

The guy in pharmaceutical sales explained, "I work for the devil, but it pays the bills." 

He: "My friend was deported four years ago and is still part owner of two restaurants in the Myrtle Beach area."

He said that moving from Ohio to Connecticut he had to get use to how aggressive they were. I asked, "How do you deal with that?" He said, "Sometimes not too well."

I asked a guy with a lot of experience dealing with difficult people, "What's the best thing to do?" He said, "Listen and let them be heard and then do whatever you can to fix their problem."



WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT MY MANNEQUIN "LILY":

Months ago I told a young guy that my riders gave me the bills from other countries. He said, "Motorcycle riders?" One Saturday this month, a young motorcycle rider pulled up to me at a light and yelled over the motorcycle noise as he pointed to Lily, "Did you get mad at her and you took her head off?"

Getting in the car she asked, "Do you use her for the HOV lane?"  Getting out of the car, she said, "Bye Lilly." She turned to me and said, "She winked at me." I said, "I'm sure she did."

They guy got in the car and said, "I thought you were going to put on that wig when I got in."

He: "Lily, you're not in Kansas anymore."

Not that amused with Lily, I asked her if she'd like a picture with her and she said, "I want to forget her." When I told her some of my ideas for the future with Lily, she said, "This is really weird, you may have a cop at your window one day."

He got out of my car and said, "See you L'ill."

She said about Lily, "I love it."

Several riders said, "This is so cool."


WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT ME AND MY CAR:

She: "I'm so glad that you were driving this morning."

"I enjoyed it."

"You're one of the best drivers ever."

The woman over fifty got out of the car and said, "Can I give you a hug?"

"That was the best Uber ride I've ever had."

"I won't forget you."

She: "I will never forget this ride."

He: "This was the best Uber ever. You made my day."

"Thanks for the entertainment."

Talking about the list I give some riders of my favorite comments, she said, "It's nice you do that for your passengers."

The young man said about the title of my book, "It's a banger."

The young guy liked my money collection: "It's an impressive collection. It feels so good to see it. This is the best trip. I enjoyed it, the most genuine ride I've ever had."

The woman sitting all the way in the back of my van wasn't that interested in the conversation in the car and when she got out, she said half joking, "I just spent the last 24 hours listening to my dad, I just wanted some peace and quiet.  You should be friends with him." Me: "I've been married forty years and you're trying to set me up with your dad? Tell him I said hi."


























































No comments:

Post a Comment