Tuesday, September 12, 2023

REMEMBERING 9-11 AGAIN

Monday has always been my favorite day of the week, but yesterday was different.  For the past two years I have been Ubering on many weekends and Monday morning is the time I go through my to-do list and in the first two hours I get a bunch of things done.  It's very rewarding to get those things done, but this Monday there was something more important that I had to do.

It was twenty-two years ago Monday, September 11, 2001, that we were attacked in New York, Washington, and a plane was forced to crash in Pennsylvania.  That day and the preceding days and months were extremely difficult.  After 9-11, I came up with the idea of doing something to remember 9-11 each year.  My 11-year-old daughter and I put together the two scrapbooks below.   





The one on the left is more focused on the attack and destruction and it's filled with a lot of pictures. The one on the right is on how the country recovered and all the things that happened afterwards related to 9-11.  There are over eighty pages in both books that are are filled with pictures, stories, and columns from many places and on many subjects on the 9-11 attack.

Every single 9-11 for the past twenty-one years, I have sat down and looked through the heartbreaking pictures for at least thirty minutes. The blonde woman searching for her husband and the look of anguish on her face, the business man with a suitcase completely covered in soot, and the woman who was carried down 80 plus floors in a wheelchair, are just some of the faces I can see without the scrapbook.

Sometimes I read a story or two, but I always read the column by Leonard Pitts Jr. which I'm showing below. His career as a columnist took off with this column, because it was so well written for the moment.  


Just to give you a sample of some of the unique pictures in the scrapbooks I am posting them below.  This was a good idea twenty-two years ago and it still is. Maybe one day I'll figure out a good place to display this.

At Ground Zero

Superheroes Asking Fireman for Autograph

Support Around the World

Ground Zero

Congress Singing "God Bless America" on the Capital Steps



Flags in New Jersey






No comments:

Post a Comment