Monday, November 13, 2023

MY FAVORITE RIDERS IN NOVEMBER

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

   It was a short month, but here are my favorite riders of the month:                                                


CONFISCATING COCAINE

The four British guys in the British Navy are docked in Charleston Harbor for a few more days and then will be heading home to England.  They told me they had a successful trip, capturing 200 million pounds of cocaine from the cartel.  I asked where they got it from and was told, "I can't tell you that."  The somewhat manager of the crew told me that his bar at home, "Was older than Charleston, founded in 1674."  I had to follow closely what he was saying due to the thick accent and words that don't mean the same thing here. 

They very generously gave me the beautiful bill above with a younger Queen Elizabeth on one side and one of my all-time favorite people in history, Winston Churchill.  I have it hanging in my car with Queen Elizabeth showing and with light behind the bill you can see Churchill right next to Queen Elizabeth.


MORE THAN JUST A GUEST CHEF

What is a guest chef? My passenger is living here in South Carolina, but she's from the Bahamas where she has a fine seafood restaurant.  She's looking to open some kind of restaurant here and is busy doing research.  When I told her there's a lot of competition here, she said, "I love competition."  She told me she has substituted at several restaurants in the area and even cooks meals for some neighbors.  One of her neighbors has her cooking two to three times a week.  She said her neighbor told her, "My cooking sucks. I told my husband that he didn't marry me for my cooking." In addition to cooking and owning a restaurant she is a rap singer and a Music Ambassador for her country.  She's a woman of many talents including a terrific personality.


 SHE HAS A MANNEQUIN HEAD TOO

Three months ago, my passenger Jen Kelly, gave me a female mannequin to display in my museum.(my car)  It has been the gift that keeps on giving. I have talked about "Lily", on most rides, but recently I talked about someone else's mannequin head.  Probably in her mid twenties, she is a server and her mannequin head was given to her ten years ago by her grandmother who was going to Cosmetology school.

Her mannequin's name is Karen and she sits on top of a shelf over her television set.  She cuts and styles her hair and is seriously thinking about going to Cosmetology school.  I did think it was odd that she told me that she burns the "eyelids and eyelashes off" and paints them. Still, we did talk "mannequin", and it was fun.


THE FUTURE WEATHERMAN

When I was in college I was uncertain about what I was going to major in and what I would do for work. There are many college students who are in the same position, but not the college freshman I met down in Charleston.  He has always been fascinated by the weather and at a very early age he knew he was going to be a weatherman.  From Myrtle Beach, as a kid, he got to know the best known weatherman in the city and unofficially started working as an intern.  He has worked as an intern for a numbers of years now and basically does everything his mentor does.  His plan is simple: graduate from college and get a job at the local station where he knows everyone. It's going to happen and I'm certain one day he'll be "training" a young kid to be a weatherman.





No comments:

Post a Comment