It will be 64 years ago in the beginning of August that actress and model Marilyn Monroe passed away at the age of 36. Her death was ruled a "probable suicide" from an overdose of sedatives. Two of her three husbands were very famous, playwright Arthur Miller and baseball great, Joe DiMaggio.
She was known for her beauty, but I had no idea that she was an avid reader as I am. Her personal library consisted of over 400 books and today I have close to 500 books. She loved to read and she wasn't reading romantic novels she was reading mostly some of the great literature books of all time, unlike what I do.
I'm pretty sure I have never seen a picture of her reading, but there she is above with books all over the place. Gale Crowther wrote a book, "Marilyn and Her Books," about her love of reading. Supposedly she read for self-improvement to better herself and overcome her insecurities.
The list of authors she read is filled with famous names such as Twain, Hemingway, Camus, Beckett, Faulkner, Dostoevsky, Shakespeare, Shelley, Milton, D.H Lawrence, and a lot of others. How many books in her collection did I read? Here they are below:
"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn"
"The Sun Also Rises"
"A Farewell to Arms"
"The Great Gatsby"
"The Magic of Believing" (Self-help)
"The Little Engine That Could"
I think I would read the book about her love of reading because it is not something most people are aware of. She lived in 49 different places in her life and her books were packed up and they went with her. After her death her acting coach inherited the collected and when he passed the collection was sold in 1999, thirty-seven years later.
I read recently that in 2023, 46% of adults in this country did not read a single book and yet Marilyn Monroe read hundreds of books in her short life.

No comments:
Post a Comment