Recently someone referred to people in their sixties as being old. I am 65 and about to turn 66, but I don't consider myself old. The President of The United States is 80, my friend Chuck who is about to publish his 28th book is 85 and the oldest water skier in the world is 95, yes, he's 95.
Bryan Murray of New Zealand was recently verified as the oldest male water skier at 94 years and 318 days. He's been waterskiing since 1955, which is before I was born. He has two kids, six grandchildren and ten great grandchildren. Over the years he entered tournaments and did very well in slalom tricks and jumping.
"As I got older it became a challenge. I enjoyed it so much I just kept going. Most people tell me that I'm an inspiration to people of all ages. It encourages me to know that I'm leading the way for people to stay active." One of his favorite sayings is, "You don't stop because you're too old, you get old because you stop being active."
What will I be doing at 75 or 85 years old? Will I still be blogging? Driving Uber? Writing books? Will I consider myself old? On several occasions my dad when he was in his nineties would comment that the people in the independent living facility he was in, they were old. I don't think he considered himself old.
Maybe I'll just say I'm older?

No comments:
Post a Comment