Monday, September 28, 2026

MY FAVORITE RIDERS IN SEPTEMBER 2026

 A NUCLEAR PHARMACIST?

It sounds dangerous, but my rider as you can see below does not look dangerous at all. He was very outgoing and amusing.  He said, "I'm really not into working, I'd rather sleep and travel." Don't worry though, he is serious with what he does. He prepares, tests, and distributes radioactive drugs to hospitals. It is a unique occupation that requires eight years of school and there are not many nuclear pharmacists in the country. His picture is now in my museum and I'll be talking about meeting someone who has a career that most people have never heard of.


PHISH PEOPLE ARE BACK

Several years ago when I was driving in Charleston, South Carolina, the band Phish had a couple shows one weekend. The band started playing in Vermont in 1983 and has a very unique following. They focus mainly on musical improvisation and jams without having a single hit song.  One fan told me that, "Phish is the most popular band no one knows about." Many of their fans have gone to their concerts 50, 100, 150 times over the years. The fans were passionate, dedicated and a a lot of fun to talk to.

During the first weekend in September Phish played in Denver, Colorado and their fans once again impressed me. One rider told me that this was her 98th concert and her best friend it was going to be her 200th concert. She explained that Phish had taught her a lot about music including how to listen more carefully. Two of my Phish riders were very generous tipping me and one gave me a very unique game which will be in my next blog with my favorite rider comments.  Looking forward to Phish returning in the future.

THE CHALLENGING HAWIIAN VACATION

The Colorado couple had been to Hawaii before, but this time they were there the same time as Hurricane Lowell which dropped 21 inches of rain on parts of Hawaii.  They did have two days before the storm and they made the best of their time the rest of the week.  Electricity was out in many restaurants and they heated coffee on a barbecue grill. They experienced wind gusts up to 160 mph. Next month they will be celebrating being married 46 years, so Happy Anniversary to you both and thanks for sharing your Hawaiian adventure with me.  At the end of the ride I said to them, "At least you had a vacation in Hawaii and he said, "Yeah, but we don't have a museum in our car."


REDEMPTION WILL BE ACHIEVED

My Sunday morning was brightened when I picked up a well dressed, smiling woman with a unique story. I thought she was going to church or a wedding, but instead she was headed to work in a retail store. Living at a halfway house she shared her story how she barely avoided going to prison. She had taken money from a retail store where she was working and planned on returning it, but she was caught before she returned it. She was sincerely sorry and took full responsibility for it and was paying back the money she took. I congratulated her on how she was changing her life and encouraged her to continue what she was doing.  I'm confident that she will have a much better life as she completes her journey for redemption and I wish her the very best.

DREAM GREAT DREAMS

The college student has big goals. She is in a pre-med program and wants to travel to Madrid and possibly get her Veterinarian degree there in the near future.  I could tell that she is very determined and goal oriented. When she was younger her hobby was doing rodeo for eight years and now she is on a volleyball team in college. She gave me a bill from Poland that she had from a vacation last summer. I would wish her luck, but I don't think she needs it.


ANOTHER TERRIFIC BRITISH RIDE

I had the pleasure of driving a very personable guy from the UK to the airport for his trip home.  He has a computer science degree and a PHD in Mathematics. Although I love numbers he said that his strength is in "reasoning." He works for a company that handles a lot transportations issues. He has plans to visit Utah and California on two separate trips in the next 6-12 months. He's traveling to Greece soon and is going to see if he can get me an older Greek bill and he may be able to come up with a King Charles bill from the UK for me.  I enjoyed sharing some of my funny British stories with him and I hope to see him in the future if he returns to Colorado


A DYNAMIC DUO

The two friends were going to a Panda Fest, which is a very large Asian festival. One of them had just returned from serving in our Army in Albania for nine months and generously gave me my second Albanian bill. He has been in the Army for four years and was helping protect the Kosovo border from Serbia. He missed home and said that Albania was "not for him." He enjoys Colorado a lot more.

His male friend has been a surgical technologist for six years in a field dominated by women. He prepares and helps surgeons during surgery and needs to know everything that is going on during the operation.  Although he's not doing the work, it's a stressful job but it's very rewarding for him.


THE PROFESSIONAL RIDE

I joked with the couple from Pennsylvania that I was feeling a little uneducated driving them.  She is an OBGYN delivering babies in the hospital where Taylor Swift was born and he is an attorney.  After telling them about the secret agent who gave me the first bill in my car, I asked him, "What kind of attorney are you?" He said, "I'm not a secret agent, but I do work for the government." I enjoyed driving them to the Botanical Gardens especially since they are now living in Pennsylvania, my favorite state for great riders. 

THE SMILING COUPLE

It had to be a great ride because they were both grinning from ear to ear. Married for three years, the Colorado couple met playing soccer on different teams. When I complimented them on their smiles, she said, "He's like a walking golden retriever." He added, "I'm a dog in human form." We had a very short time together unfortunately, but they were a joy to drive.  Next time I have to get a picture for my museum.

THE LONE OFFICER

For 19 years he was the guy in charge of law enforcement for a small town. He covered forty miles in a department of one. The guy he replaced did train him for three months, but he was the only one in charge for 21 years. The best advice he got was to "Speak firmly and carry a big stick, but don't use it." He finally decided he had enough and moved into another city job taking care of the maintenance which is a lot easier to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment