Sunday, August 19, 2018

Happy Birthday To Me(The Seafood Buffet)

(Fair warning-if you are hungry or if you just ate, you are better off reading this later)

Why not wish myself a happy birthday, everyone else did. Well, not everyone, I haven't checked Facebook today.  Being here in South Carolina I have seen all kinds of restaurant buffets advertised and the one that gets the most praise is Captain Georges Seafood Buffet.  I decided that on my birthday my wife and I would go there for dinner and I was looking forward to it a lot more than she was.

GAME PLAN: Comedian Jim Gafigan has said that when you go to an all-you-can eat place the goal is to eat one more dollar than you spend for the meal.  I was thinking $33 the whole meal and about the food of course.

WHAT THEY DIDN'T HAVE: We didn't see any lobster(although it could have been there) and there was no pasta or chicken parmesan.  They had just about everything else including a ridiculous dessert area that I didn't get back to.

THE FIRST PLATE: It's a seafood place so I went with seafood first.  A bunch of scallops and shrimp were incredible and filled half my plate.  I squeezed in some salmon, flounder and some kind of fish combo, which was good too.  I had some mashed potatoes and a small piece of corn.  I tried to take my time, but this plate did not last and I said to my wife, "that was a good appetizer!" (I also had a taste of one of her crab legs which was okay)

THE SECOND PLATE: I went southern since I'm trying to be a southerner.  Spare ribs and steak were the first two things on my plate.  I passed the fried chicken and went for the healthier broiled chicken drumstick, but I circled back for a fried chicken drumstick too.(I haven't really had fried chicken here and I've been craving it)  I had a few small potatoes and some pork and I topped the plate off with another small corn on the cob.(just had to have one more)  After I finished this I said to my wife, "that was a good start!"

THE THIRD PLATE: Did I tell you that I've lost two pounds in the last couple weeks and now weigh less than I have in maybe 20 years? I went with surf and turf- two ribs, one fried chicken drumstick, some more shrimp and scallops, two small pieces of steak and another corn on the cob.  As I started eating the server brought over a large piece of chocolate cake since I told her we were here for my birthday.  I had to ask if I could bring it home, because I knew I could not eat it tonight.

You'll be "proud" of me when I tell you that I did not finish my third plate.  I left spare ribs on the plate and one piece of steak, I may never forget that.  I think I ate at least $50 worth of food and I enjoyed every minute of it.  And tomorrow night-some cold chocolate cake I will share with my wife.(if she wants some)

I'm going to get that tall glass of milk ready right now....

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha glad you had such a good dinner! Eat another piece of chocolate cake for me ;)

    ReplyDelete