Tuesday, August 28, 2018

August 28, 1983

There have been a lot of wonderful days in my life, but only one best day.  The best day of my life was thirty-five years ago today when Monika Melcher agreed to marry me.  I can't imagine what my life would have been like without her.

We did meet three years earlier working at Burger King and I did trick her into giving me her phone number.  When I got up the nerve to call her, her Mom amusingly answered the phone by saying, "Melcher's Pizza."  I really did pull out the phone book and try to find where Melcher's Pizza was, not realizing that there are very few German pizzerias.  On our second date I asked her if I could kiss her and she really did say, "I'm engaged."(sort of engaged to someone she hadn't met)

It was an unusual beginning, but it's been a wonderful 35 years.  I am constantly amazed at how talented my wife is and all the things she knows that I don't have a clue about.  She's a terrific cook, she paints and decorates like a pro, she can fix just about anything, and she has a terrific sense of humor.  Those are only the first few things that come to mind at 5:30 am this morning.

We are fortunate to have three amazing children who clearly have many of her talents.  She continues to be a magnificent Mom and she's a lot more responsible for who they are than I am.

She makes me happy every day and I am very grateful to have spent these 35 years with her.  Every night when we go to sleep I look into her eyes and see a woman who is more beautiful today than she was on the day we got married, August 28, 1983.

Happy Anniversary Princess-I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment