Thursday, August 2, 2018

Special 100th Blog

Seven months ago I decided to start writing this blog, "Becoming A Southerner" so my kids, dad, sister, brother and some friends can keep up to date about our adventure as we traveled down from New Jersey to South Carolina.  Ninety-nine posts later it's time for my 100th story.  If this was a TV show I'd be ready for syndication, but as of now it is just me writing some stories.

When I told my youngest daughter that I was writing something special for my next blog, she asked if it was about her. No, Marisa, it is not about you, but I have now mentioned you by name to make you laugh.  This is a summary of some of the events over the past seven months:

Grits: Still have not eaten southern grits(only PA. grits) and I have no current plans to do so.

Android Phone: After destroying my first "real" phone after having a flip phone for years, the android phone has lasted four months.  I have taken some pretty amazing pictures and I may get used to texting some day.(or not) I wonder how you switch the flash off?

Gladys the Gall Bladder: My wife's gall bladder was removed in February and she's had no further problems, but I think we're still paying for Gladys's departure.

"Obstacles Exist To Be Overcome"-great quote from a book this year that should always be remembered.

Favorite quotes from people down south- Harry at work said to me, "You're not used to physical exercise." Ms. Davenport, who I made a delivery to, is a huge New England Patriot fan.  She told me that the Patriots "lost the Super Bowl because they ate too much fatty foods."  She also said that Tom Brady wasn't that good, really.

Southern People-extremely friendly, helpful, and they can talk and talk and talk and it sounds so nice. Yesterday I let a woman go out of the elevator first and I motioned for the man she was with to go to and he said to me, "After you."  And I said to him, "after you."  And finally he went.  I was afraid it was going to go on longer.

Four hand trucks- I destroyed one new hand truck and a second one is taped together with one new tire and one blown tire.  I started using my old, old, hand truck, but switched to a smaller old hand truck I found in the warehouse at work. I've been working as a courier for five months, one hand truck a month.

Country music- It's certainly popular here, but I can still listen to rock and easy listening songs also.  Best country song title by far was, "I Want to Check Her For Lice."  I have to look up those lyrics-they have to be a hoot, don't you think?

Don't Feed The Alligators-It's a common sign and not once has it ever crossed my mind that I should feed an alligator, but maybe some people think it's a good idea.

Still No TV- We've gone three months without a TV and we're still good, maybe some day we'll get one, maybe not.

The Weather- From the bitter cold winter(40's and 50's), to the hot summer sun without rain, and now to the black clouds and heavy thunderstorms that break out several times a day, the weather is similar to Florida.  Rain is in the forecast every day, but they really don't know.

OJ in the cereal-That would be orange juice, not the former football player and murderer.  I've solved my OJ problem by doing this when I open the fridge in the morning to get the milk: I repeat milk, milk, milk.  Every time now I'm able to get the milk in the cereal correctly, although sometimes the cereal is left on the counter.

Sally the Salamander: She is still alive in our garage, but not for long.  Her days are numbered.

The New Highway-It finally opened with white lines and no vehicles parked on the road. Oddest thing is that it's only 45 mph on a straight road with no exits and trees on both sides of the road. It was more fun when I was the only one driving on it.

Bedside Table-One drawer is being used with many of the chords/plugs I need to keep my hi-tech life going.  What would I do without it?

Lawnmower-The push mower is still functioning well, but the real test will be whenever I next use it since the grass is high and it's very wet and muddy.

The Beach-Still no real sunburn as we hit August.  If I can only continue that for a few more years....

It's been a great seven months and hopefully I will continue to make you laugh a little and entertain you some as my quest continues in "Becoming A Southerner."

No comments:

Post a Comment