Thursday, November 8, 2018

A Day Off

This Saturday I'm taking a day off.  Our youngest daughter and her boyfriend are coming to visit and I'm not doing any work on Saturday.  Taking a day off is usually a pretty normal thing, but this day off is a little different.  My last day off was Monday, September 17th when we returned from Florida after being away for six days due to the hurricane.  Tomorrow, Friday, November 9th, will be the 53rd straight day I've worked.

I know how ridiculous that sounds, but it's not really that bad.  There are two things to remember when someone presents you with a number or a group of numbers. First, most people don't like numbers and secondly, most people are not good with numbers.  The big question is this: when you are given a number, is the number real? Does it mean what it really says or can you view it from a different perspective?

Working fifty-three straight days is a lot, until you consider the work.  As a courier, I frequently work 5-7 hours a day.  There have been many days that I was home by 1 or 2 pm.  For me, some of those days were really half days.  Occasionally, I did go out and "work" as an Uber driver for a few hours, but a number of those days were really easy days.

On the weekends I've been "working" as an Uber driver and it doesn't seem like work.  I'm just driving, picking up people and having great conversations with a lot of them.  I find it relaxing.  It's very common for me to be waiting in a hotel or airport parking lot for my next ride.  I've taken short naps, ate lunch, read the Sunday paper, called my Dad and read a book in addition to sometimes talking with other drivers and my wife. Frequently hat time adds up to two hours or more in my "work" day.

So the next time you hear or read about a number, pretend that I'm whispering in your ear: is it real? Does that number mean what it's supposed to mean? You may be surprised if you take a closer look.(if you hear we whispering in your ear when you're not thinking about a number, you've read too many of my blogs-take a day off!)

No comments:

Post a Comment