Sunday, July 14, 2019

It's "Groundhog Day" in Myrtle Beach

It was 26 years ago that the classic comedy, "Groundhog Day" came out.  Comedian, Bill Murray, starred as a popular weather man covering the events of Groundhog Day in Pennsylvania.  Somehow, he woke up every morning at the same time and was able to repeat everything that happened that day and he changed some things to make it a better day.  It's a great movie.

Yesterday in Myrtle Beach there was a 25% chance of rain which isn't unusual.  The morning was perfect, sunny skies and some white clouds and then the humidity came.  It was a really good beach day until 3 pm. (if you're into that)  As I drove a couple from the airport to North Myrtle Beach I pointed to the dark clouds to the west and told them we would get some rain and then a short time later the sun would come out.

I was only half right.  At three thirty the skies opened up everywhere and with thunder, lightning, and heavy rain there was also some hail spotted by my wife at the airport hitting her car.  The planes started circling the airport skies and were delayed over an hour.  I stopped driving and waited until it slowed down and I was not in the heaviest downpour.  The sun never came out again and it kept raining and thundering in places during the night.

Sunday morning was beautiful, just like Saturday morning.  There was also  a 20% chance of rain. The humidity heated up and people were enjoying the great weather.  I even told passengers that we weren't going to have a repeat of yesterday's weather.  At 5 pm I was standing outside my car at the airport lot and I saw a couple big drops of rain.  Then, loud thunder a couple times. The sun was gone.  The next thunder blast chased me into the car and I got a ride to pick someone up at a  hotel.

Before leaving the parking lot, the skies opened up and suddenly I was Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day."  One mile from the airport there was water rising on the roads from only a couple minutes or rain.  My passengers literally jumped into my vehicle trying to avoid getting soaked.  As we headed north in the monsoon I told them it was possible there was no rain ten minutes north where they were going to dinner.  It seemed ridiculous to tell them that, but it was true.  No sign of rain could be found 10 miles north of where I picked them up.

The weather for tomorrow: a zero per cent chance of rain, but it says "thunderstorms."  Our grass is growing, but I don't think we're going to water the lawn tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment