Wednesday, July 17, 2019

My Hand Truck(The Sequel and Final Episode)

Hollywood makes sequels all the time, but I didn't expect to have one about my hand truck.  I thought this was funny, but you probably won't.  This episode also shows how incredibly friendly people are here in the South.

As I pulled up to an office building to deliver yesterday, I found a spot right in front of the door I was going to go into.  Normally that would be good, but it really wasn't.  I had four heavy boxes of paper to put on my hand truck and bring in and I would now have go over the curb of the sidewalk or walk down about six cars and easily roll my way up the sidewalk. 

It seemed silly to go away from the building and since this hand truck has bigger wheels to go over curbs, I chose the closest path.  As I pulled on the hand truck handle(which has never come out), I pulled so hard that it flew out of my hand and I went flying backwards, bumped into the brick wall of the building and fell straight down on my ass.  The four boxes of paper stayed on the hand truck but they were now horizontal instead of vertical.

I was laughing on the ground, because I was convinced that the handle was stuck and did not come out.  I was also not hurt at all.  I think somehow only the middle of my back hit the wall slightly, I had a very small cut on my elbow and I fell straight down easily.

What I didn't realize was that several people saw this happen and a bunch of people heard the bump into the building and the metal pieces of the hand truck hit the ground.  An older man(who had trouble walking) jumped out of his car to ask if I was okay.  A patient inside who had an oxygen mask on, ran out to see if I was okay. And, at least three women who worked there came out to check on me.

I was still laughing at all this attention.  One women said I should get checked out and another said I should write a report.  I laughed it off and felt fine.  "You'll be sore tomorrow someone said, " but I'm not.  When I delivered inside I had at least four other women ask if I was okay.  I finally told someone as I was grinning, "if I wasn't okay I wouldn't be smiling like this, I'm not that good of an actor."

They were all very nice and I appreciated it, but I just hope I don't have to go back there this week and have all those people ask again if I'm okay.  What if I go back and there's white chalk marked on the building where I bumped into?

Just another adventure in the South....

No comments:

Post a Comment