Thursday, January 14, 2021

How Do You Say "Almond"?

 People do pronounce things differently and I'm not talking about people with an accent.  Sometimes there's a difference in the name of a city or town.  My son lives in Lancaster, Pa., and I think most people say the name as "Lan-caster." However, if you live there, apparently most people say it quickly more like, "Lincaster." I'm sure my son will tell me that I still have it wrong, but it's at least closer to the right way.(maybe)

My wife and I were sitting at the dinner table last week with our youngest daughter and she said the word, "almond." It didn't sound right to me and then we all started saying it.  We all started laughing too, because we may have been saying it all the same.  I don't think we know for sure, but it was funny.

To make things worse I mentioned the musical group, "The Allman Brothers." So, do you say "almond," as "All-min" or do you say it say it as, "I'll-mind" or "I'll-min"? There may be a couple other possibilities, but if you keep saying this word over and over, it's almost guaranteed that you will start laughing.

I don't eat almonds at all, but I'm pretty sure I will laugh anytime the name comes up.


No comments:

Post a Comment