Thursday, November 18, 2021

Eating Breakfast in Edison, New Jersey

There is nothing special about eating breakfast in Edison, NJ, unless of course you are 600 miles away living in South Carolina.  Having grown up in Edison, I've had more breakfasts there than anywhere, but what I ate for breakfast as a kid is kind of blurry at this point.

I finally arranged to get together with my old supervisor (4 years older), who I worked with as a courier up until the end of June.  The first time I met him, I knew we could be friends.  He's from North Jersey, is a big Yankee fan, likes to joke around and he has a work ethic very much like mine. If we get together with our wives I think both of them will find if amusing how similar the two of us are.

We planned on meeting for breakfast in Conway, South Carolina, not far from the warehouse we worked together.  He warned me that the portions were big, not knowing that it wouldn't bother me at all.  He told me the pancakes were huge and I looked it up online and he was telling the truth. He said he couldn't eat two of them, but I knew I could if I wanted to.  As it turned out, my wife and I had gone to IHOP the week before, so I wasn't really in a pancake mood.

I pulled up at the small restaurant and we talked outside while we waited for a table.  I told him I saw online the size of the pancakes and he said, "there's a place in Edison, New Jersey that everything is huge." I started laughing and told him it was Harold's, where I've eaten lunch/dinner many times.  He didn't know that I grew up in Edison.  I told him my favorite thing there was actually the cakes which are sitting on the left side as you walk in and they are stand so tall they don't look real. Take a look at this below without reaching for some milk-chocolate cake at Harold's in Edison. This is the real size.


We sat down and I did only order one pancake which is pictured below.  It was thick and I do think I could have eaten one more, but I'm saving that for another time.  On the wall behind the register at this place was pictures of customers who took the breakfast challenge.  In one sitting they ate 3 pancakes, 3 eggs, 3 pieces of bacon and I think it was 3 pieces of toast.  If I break a fast there for Yom Kippur I may be able to do it, except they are not open that late in the day.  Maybe, we'll stop at Harold's on our Thanksgiving trip and I'll just eat a big meal and call it breakfast.  I wish I had that cake right now!




No comments:

Post a Comment