Thursday, November 11, 2021

It's Potty Time!

Maybe I should just write dog columns? With so many dogs just in our neighborhood, I could spend a few hours with each dog and then write a nice little story for the owner and maybe put it in a little frame with the dog's picture or the dog and it's owner.  How much could I charge? $25? $50? To make what I make Uberring I'd have to write 4-5 stories a day, or a couple every day of the week.  With the love I have for dogs, that shouldn't be a problem.  Think of the gas I'll save! And, it's a great Christmas present for that person who has everything!

Back to our latest saga of "Me and my Dog." I think there is an oldies song that begins with a guy yelling out, "It's Party Time." Potty time isn't as much fun.  The routine is that Odin eats/devours dinner and maybe halfway through our dinner, he rings a bell and we know that he needs to go out.  My wife gets up and takes him out and he goes potty pretty quickly, frequently both kinds.

Our backyard yesterday was a little different and he noticed immediately. The fountain that shoots water out in the pond was off.  We've seen it happen a few times, but Odin has not. He was fascinated or annoyed that there was no water. (he did not say which one) He loves the water, either watching it or hearing it. (he has not said which one or both) Without the water in the pond, you can see the reflection on the houses in the water, but I don't know if that's what fascinated him. (no, he did not say)

After dinner which he cleaned a plate and a half so you could see yourself in the plate, Odin rang the bell and the adventure began. I walk out and put sandals or flip-flops on, hook up his leash,(so he doesn't eat dirt, plants or furniture), and we walk.  I did not provide a picture of this, but here is the description: older man, walking aimlessly in his backyard, with the dog leading him on their quest. The old man gives a motivational speech, "ok, go potty, find your spot, you can do it, it's your time-come on Odin!" (the right phrase I've been told is "go potty poops."

It may have been the water not being on, which I think helps the dog pee, but maybe it has a different effect on getting rid of other waste? How many times did Odin and I make our quest through the backyard in the dark? Just a ballpark figure, more than six and less than a dozen times over a couple hours.  He went to sleep without going and I'm wondering when he wakes up in an hour, how big a bag am I going to need?

But, here's the truth, do I really want him to go potty? Of course not, why would I want to pick up shit? (I would have used another word, but in this case....) Finally, the best part was this: after encouraging Odin to go potty for a couple hours, we were sleeping by 9:45.  Less than two hours later, I woke up-I had to go potty, really.





No comments:

Post a Comment