Tuesday, March 15, 2022

What Are You Reading Now?

I don't mean right this moment, I know you're here. It seems everywhere I turn recently the importance of reading comes up. Yesterday, I read a quote from Elon Musk who said that one of the things that determines who you will be five years from now, is "the books you read." A blog I read said this, "Your brain is a muscle. Reading exercises the muscle like lifting weights exercises your biceps. When you exercise your brain by reading, it can help prevent cognitive decline and memory loss down the road." 

Next month, April 22-April 24th, The Hunterdon County Book Fair will take place in New Jersey. It was canceled the past two years, but unfortunately I won't be able to attend this year. If you're in New Jersey and you like to read, look it up because it is awesome. I'm definitely going next year. 

I did something recently that I had never done. I ordered three books online that I had been thinking about reading for awhile and they were pretty inexpensive. I'm reading one of those books which is a collection of columns by Pulitzer Prize Writer, Leonard Pitts, Jr. I've read many of his columns in the past which includes his 9-11 column which I read every year on 9-11.  Many years ago, he wrote a column about how expensive Disney World was and I wrote him and told him it was "the value, not the cost" that was important.  He actually replied to me.

The book I'm close to finishing is on President Theodore Roosevelt.  Right now I'm reading about how he won the Nobel Peace Prize for brokering the peace between Japan and Russia in the war of 1905. Japan embarrassed Russia and it's really interesting to read this now with Russia attacking Ukraine. Below is a picture of my bookshelves. The top right hand corner are the books I still need to read, many of them used to be my Dad's books.

So, what are you reading now? Find something you can read that you'll enjoy.  It could be anything, I even have a whole shelf of comedy books which are obviously fun to read.  If you read a few minutes every day, you're going to be better off. You can't count on me to blog something every day for you, do if for yourself.

  







No comments:

Post a Comment