Monday, March 7, 2022

What's The Difference Between Geese and Swans?

 My last blog had one minor mistake.  I referred to the two swans below as geese. My wife, as usual, straightened me out. If for some reason you did not get this picture in the last blog, here it is again.  The title of the last blog should have been, "Why Do Swans Cross The Road?"


It was a silly mistake, because they really don't look alike.  Below is a picture of two geese and one swan. However, they have a lot more in common than you might now. They actually came from the same family and evolved together.  That is not me saying it, I looked it up.  About 12 million years ago the families split up.


Geese typically have shorter necks and weigh more, about 20 pounds. Swans are bigger, but typically weigh only around 15 pounds. Is any of this important? Of course not, by I didn't want you to think that the swans in our neighborhood were really geese.

By the way, I did see more deer on the side of the road yesterday early morning, showing me their ass.  Maybe I never noticed it before?

No comments:

Post a Comment