Thursday, September 15, 2022

Chicken and Waffles

Yesterday, I took a big step into becoming a southerner.  Other than grits, I think the most popular southern food is, chicken and waffles. My favorite food, as you know, is chicken. It might seem odd that almost five years living in the south I have not tried chicken and waffles, but this is easy to explain. I don't believe I've ever eaten waffles.  Maybe when I was a kid I tried them and didn't like them, but I've never had the urge to eat them. I really don't like the way they look.

Our daughter and son-in-law were visiting yesterday and my son-in-law ordered chicken and waffles and encouraged me to taste them.  Below is a picture of his plate before I tasted them:


To be honest, it looks pretty good because there's a huge piece of chicken on top. If the waffle was on top of the chicken, it wouldn't look as appetizing. The plate itself looks good and the syrup is okay, but the waffle? If the waffle was a fancy plate, sure, I'd be fine with it. The chicken tasted great and I would have had no problem eating two pieces of chicken. The waffle, not so good. It was better than cardboard, but not as good as french toast. Together, if you had a a big piece of chicken and a tiny piece of waffle in your mouth, the chicken would block out the taste and I would be fine. I didn't like the combination and have no idea why other people like it.

My breakfast was pretty simple, as simple as you can get:


I'm a simple guy who likes simple things.  There wasn't enough syrup, but the two pancakes were good. It doesn't look as good without chicken, but I would eat them separately, not together. Chicken and pancakes would not work together either. (But it would look better)

The big news of the day was, I spent some cash and they accepted it. Below is the cash I spent and it was the beginning of a big cash day.


They even gave us a discount of $2.31for using cash-imagine that! Wouldn't it be great if everyone did that?


Finally, the cash-filled day ended in a humorous way. I went to pick-up food at a restaurant, something I do very rarely. Unlike the rest of the world who orders take out all the time, we get pizza or Chinese food once in a while. When I paid cash, the girl behind the counter asked me, "Do you need the change?" I said, "Yes," and then I paused and said, "I don't need it, but I'll take it." It was 61 cents and I couldn't understand why she was asking that way. My wife and daughter explained that she was asking for a tip, but it never entered my mind at all. I felt like I was picking up a pizza and I was just so excited to be spending some cash. I could have spent a couple more dollars in cash and I completely missed the opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment