Wednesday, September 7, 2022

The DMV-Southern Style

I remember going to the Department of Motor Vehicles in New Jersey many times. Typically, people dread going to the DMV due to how long it takes to get done what you need done. For an area of the country that is fast paced, the DMV doesn't move like most things move in the northeast.

However, in the south, everything is the opposite.  This is an area of the country that is know to move slowly to very slowly.  One rider memorably told me, "Even the fast food isn't fast here." Another rider from Minnesota told me recently, "The difference between Minnesota and here is that in the south it takes you 12 minutes to get a cup of coffee." I often say that it may take me 10 years living here to get down to the pace of the south and I'm almost half way there at least in the number of years.

I have visited three different Motor Vehicle Offices in the south and they were all remarkably efficient. The employees are very friendly and visiting is not something to dread. This past week I went in to see if I could replace my license plate because it started to peel off and it was difficult to read.  I got pulled over and given a warning, so this was something that I had to.

It was busy, but everything was moving quickly, which you don't always see down here. A guy came out and asked what I needed today and gave me a form to fill out.  A few minutes later my number was called and I went up to the counter. Unfortunately, they could not give me the same plate number, so I got a very new replacement sticker for the corner of the plate which has my renewal date. My talented wife cleaned the plate up and put on the new sticker and it looks great.

What did the sticker cost? It was only $6 and as I reached into my wallet to PAY CASH, the helpful employee said, "I can get this for you for free." I asked how and he said, "I know how to use the computer." I thanked him and walked out of the building shaking my head.  It took about twenty minutes and even the government would not accept my cash. Below is the picture of the $6 I was not allowed to spend. So, if you need to go to the DMV, go south!




No comments:

Post a Comment