Wednesday, October 26, 2022

"I Traded Gandhi"

 Over the years I've read about ridiculous headlines. One of the most famous bizarre headlines was many years ago from the New York Post. The headline read, "Headless Body in Topless Bar."  I know that the title of this blog is ridiculous, but it did really happen.

As I've posted before, riders have been giving me currency from their country and I've been displaying them so my other riders can enjoy them.  I've had many people take pictures of the money!  One of the bills I have is from India and it has a picture of Gandhi on it. Many people have recognized Gandhi, including an almost 7-year-old girl from New York. If you look at the picture below, you'll see the bill on the top left is Gandhi. It's a good looking bill and of course the name Gandhi is pretty well known.



About ten days ago, I drove a Mexican woman, who had lived in the Charleston area for a long time. She took one look at Gandhi and said, "I love Gandhi. Would you be willing to trade it for Italy and Argentina?" I laughed because I didn't think she was serious, but she really was.  It turns out that she collects foreign bills and had some with her. She said that she is collecting them so in the future, "I can use the bills when I visit other countries."

The big question remained, "Trade Gandhi or don't trade Gandhi?" It was two for one and I felt that it would be easier to get another Gandhi than it would be to get Italy and Argentina.  The woman was very happy and told me to come into the Mexican restaurant in the future if I wanted to trade more. Later that day I told a couple that I traded Gandhi and he said, "My mother wouldn't have traded Gandhi." Below are pictures of Argentina and below that Italy. The other eleven countries that are represented in my museum on wheels are: South Sudan, Malaysia, Myanmar, Honduras, Jamaica, Canada, Soviet Union, Romania, Thailand, Bulgaria and Mexico. I may have to get a bigger car!




                                            



 

No comments:

Post a Comment