Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Going To A Political Rally

 Members of my family know that I have been interested in politics for over forty years when I graduated with a political science degree in 1982. I think I first became interested in junior high school and I can blame it on the Kennedy's.  I was fascinated by the Kennedy family and I've probably read twenty or more books on them in my life.

I have a political library and I have read political stories every single day for a very long time. But, one thing I had never done was go to a political rally-until Monday.  Former South Carolina Governor, Nikki Haley, is running for President of the United States, and she was having an event in Myrtle Beach and I decided to go.

My first mistake was going to the wrong college campus, but I got to the right one in time. I was in the back of a medium sized room and this is what it looked on stage below.  It was an older crowd, but there were a lot of women in the room, maybe more than you usual see in a Republican crowd.


I was standing next to a guy who was one of the top people in the campaign.  I joked with him that he looked the part.  He said the room was supposed to hold 400 some people and they had 550 before it started.  Later, someone said they had 1,000, with some people with disabilities in a second room.  It was probably somewhere in between although a newspaper has said, "Over a thousand."  The sign below stands for South Carolina loves Nikki-I got the picture obviously from the side and not the front.  


She talked for 30-40 minutes and did an impressive job.  She mixed in a lot of humor, her past achievements, how she got into politics and why she's running for President.  I've said for a number of years that she will be the first female President, but I don't know what year that's going to be.  It's going to be an uphill climb for her, but she did do a very good job and I enjoyed being there.  If you have never been to a political rally, now you know what it looks like.



No comments:

Post a Comment