Tuesday, March 28, 2023

THE ROBOTS

One of my first jobs a very long time ago was going to high schools and talking about careers.  At one point I was giving presentations on the career of Computer Repair Robotics. To get attention and have some fun, I would bring a toy robot in to the classroom. One of them was really a balloon that you put fur on it and I would move it around the hallway and get some great reactions.  The picture below is very close to what I used and it looks like Cousin It from "The Addams Family" television show. I don't think I had a tray on it.


Arriving at my daughter's house I found out they had a robot vacum called, "eufy."  Couldn't they come up with a better name, maybe Alice the vacum cleaner or even Kris which could be male or female? I don't like the name.  I was told that a few times a week this vacum is programmed to go through the first floor in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping and it's as quiet as a mouse and does a good job.

The idea of something moving around the house while I was sleeping did not give me a good feeling. I usually wake up in the middle of the night when I'm there and I go downstairs to sleep on the couch. They shut it off so I wouldn't have to deal with it.  At 1:15 am in the morning, I walked right past the robot and fortunately it did not move. It definitely would have scared me.



Around dinner time I took my sister-in-law food shopping.  As I walked through the store, I was looking on the shelves when a sign caught the corner of my eye. I stopped and looked at it and I read the sign. It said, "I'm Tally, I check shelf inventory." And then, the robot walked right past me.

I would not want this in my living room.




No comments:

Post a Comment