Monday, March 27, 2023

What I Learned Last Week on Vacation

 

I think I should go on vacation more often, I seem to learn a lot when I'm away.  This one week journey up to New Jersey was not an exception, it was educational and of course fun.  Here's what I learned:

1. Rubbernecking: Am I the only one who did not know what this is?  I have heard a number of times while listening to a traffic report that there was rubbernecking somewhere.  I knew it meant traffic, but I didn't know it really had to do with necks. It refers to bystanders or drivers who staring at accidents and they are trying to get a better view of it.  Why? I have no idea. I stopped looking at them years ago. It is awful to be in traffic because people are slowing down to see how bad it is. I don't care. I hope no one is hurt, but stop the rubbernecking, please!

2. Where are the rest stops? Do you know how often I have tried to figure how far away we are when we're on the road on vacation.  This past week I mentioned that to my wife and she said, "I'll just look it up." All this time you could just put in rest stops and have the answer and she didn't tell me? It worked and now our traveling is much easier.

3. Dogs do not look straight up.  I was watching our dog Odin and I was holding him in my arms. (Aww) It was not fun, he's heavy.  There was a very large fan above us and he could hear the humming sound, but he couldn't figure out where it was coming from.  I said, "Look up, look up." It did not work. I tried holding him belly up, it did not work. I tried moving his head, it did not work. If I had cheese in one hand I could have thrown it up in the air and it would have worked.  Below is me struggling to make it work, it never did.



 4. Corned beef and Cabbage: I have always loved corned beef, but I didn't like cabbage and I certainly didn't eat them together.  However, there it was on the table and I gave it a shot.  I was surprised, but it did taste good together. I might even try it again. If you haven't had it, go for it!

5. Filling up the plot hole. If you looked at that quickly, you probably saw pothole and not plot hole. There is a big difference, but I had never heard the phrase before.  My oldest daughter, who loves to write like I do, explained it to me. She said if you're writing a story you can't just bring up characters out of the blue or other things without introducing them.  If you do, you have a plot hole that needs filling.

6. Discrimination of Hindu Americans? Entering New Jersey on the New Jersey Turnpike, I was very surprised to see a very large sign that said, "Stop Discrimination of Hindu Americans." As of 2015, New Jersey had 278,000, second only to California. (I did not know that)  I did not know that there was a lot of discrimination against Hindu Americans, so it seemed odd that there was such a big sign just when you enter the state.

7. The last time I was in New Jersey I blogged about my battles with the electronic garbage can in my daughter's kitchen.  I was still having trouble opening it on this trip. Below is a picture of it and I'm pretty sure he know I was back.

For more of technology battles, stay tuned.  My next blog I will come face to face with Tally and Eufy.





No comments:

Post a Comment