Thursday, June 15, 2023

I'm Positive This Will Help You

                                                                                               


Over the years I have read many books and articles that discussed the value of thinking positive instead of negative.  There have been a lot of times in my life that I have focused on the positive that comes out of a situation instead of the negative and I have found it has helped me a lot.

Recently, I read an interesting article that talked about a study that shows that an optimistic outlook on aging can help with memory loss. The study was from the Yale school of public health.  The author, Mathew Wilson said, "Positive thinking may be more powerful than you think."  The study took place over 12 years and with 1,700 people over 65 and it showed that, "People with positive thoughts about aging had 30% better results than people with negative thoughts on aging.

The article listed these five things everyone can do:

1. Memorize positive words to change your mindset.  One example I can give is, when something happens, do you react to it or respond to it? Responding is positive, reacting is not.

2. Write down the positive things in your life. It's easy to go over what we did wrong or bad things that happen to us, but I have found that focusing on accomplishments and things that are good, is far healthier.  

3. Set attainable goals and chart your progress. Working towards reachable goals and keeping track of them is always helpful and it is good for you.

4. If you're feeling sad, try smiling more.  The article said, "Research has shown that smiling more reduces your heart rate and blood pressure in stressful situations." Don't try to smile more, just do it. The sign in my car which many people have commented on and some have taken pictures of is this, "If you can't find the sunshine, be the sunshine." Smiling is a form of sunshine that we can give more of.

5. Imagine positive outcomes. People worry way too much of what the worst thing that could happen, focus on more positive results-it's good for your health.

Recently, I copied down a bunch of quotes I liked on all different topics.  I didn't realize I would be using them so quickly.  I hope you enjoy these and I believe you will:


"Every day may not be good, but there is something good in every day."

Alice Morse Earle

"Optimism is a happiness magnet. If you stay positive, good things and good people will be drawn to you."

Mary Lou Retton

"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement; nothing can be done without hope."

Helen Keller

"Enjoy life. Accentuate the positive, not the negative. It sounds so trite, but a lot of people will pick out something to complain about rather than say, 'Hey, that was great!' It's not hard to find great stuff if you look."'

Betty White
   



No comments:

Post a Comment