Monday, June 5, 2023

The Lay-Z-Boy That Isn't

 Recently I had a funny conversation with a regular rider of mine about some things that my wife and I don't have: a TV and a barbecue grill, were the two big ones.  I'm not really into talking about what we don't have, but more focused on what we do have.  Later on, I realized that we don't have a recliner either, but we do have one now.


I decided it was time to get one for my office so I can sleep a couple hours when I wake up in the middle of the night and also it would be a good reading chair.  However, the chair was part of a big plan.  First sell the couch in the living room, which we did.  Move the couch in my office into the living room, which we did to make room for the chair.  There are a few other pieces to this plan, but we're still working on them. 

Back to my story of the Lay-Z-Boy that isn't.  The company was originally called the Floral City Furniture company in 1927 and in 1929 they created the Lay-Z-Boy recliner which the company is known as today. The company started and still is in Monroe, Michigan and the company does around $2.4 Billion in sales. It has grown 100% in the last ten years. A recliner should last at least 7-10 years and possibly up to 20 years just in case you're wondering.

My wife and I went to a Lay-Z-Boy store, but we didn't stay long.  I wanted a smaller chair for my office and the prices were in the $1,500-$2,000 range in some cases.  We bought the above chair online and it's on the smaller side and it looks pretty good and it's comfortable.  I could have bought many chairs for the price of a Lay-Z-Boy, but we'll see how many years my chair lasts.

So, we've added a recliner, but when we're all done we may no longer have a couch in the house! And a TV? It's possible, maybe this is the year! Or, maybe by election night in 2024?

No comments:

Post a Comment