Monday, January 15, 2024

Lily Goes To Breakfast

There are a lot of local Facebook sites here in the Myrtle Beach area. When my book came out, the response I received on a number of these sites was absolutely crazy. I responded to over 800 actual comments and I really appreciated all of their support.

One of the sites in Pawleys Island (Just south of where I live), is run by Dave and his rule is that if you want to advertise something you have to text him first.  I had an event coming up, so I texted him and he wanted to interview me. After I agreed to meet him. he gave me permission to post the ad. We decided to meet nearby for breakfast.

The morning that Dave and I were going to meet, he texted me that he was excited to meet me.  Naturally, I asked if I should bring my mannequin, Lily, in for breakfast and his reply was, "Sure, that would be fun."  So, I checked her hair, (She still has more than I do), skipped any make-up, and we left for breakfast.

As I pulled up at the pancake house, I had a flashback from over forty years ago.  In college, I ran for the student senate and I appeared in the school newspaper with a paper bag over my head.  No one really knew me, so wearing a bag on my head didn't hurt my chances. I campaigned by putting a paper bag with a face on each shoulder of my winter coat and I walked around campus like that.  For a twenty-year-old who was still pretty shy, it was challenging. I lost that race, but a year later I was elected president of the student senate. The below picture was for my last column in the school paper. The column was called. "The Prez Sez."


Now, at 63 years old, I was about to walk into a breakfast place holding a woman's head and meeting someone for the first time. There was only a few people around, but everyone's head turned to look at Lily and her head. Dave was amused and the below picture was taken by our server, who was also very amused.


We had a nice breakfast and I found out that the story of his life was incredibly inspirating.   He definitely would have been in my book if I had given him a ride before last April.  He's a semi-retired car salesman of twenty years and has an advertising/promotions/video business.  We sat in my car and he did about a thirty minute interview and video which included me going all around the world showing off all of my foreign currency. A few hours later, he posted it on his site and it got a lot of positive feedback- thanks Dave, I do appreciate it!





No comments:

Post a Comment