Wednesday, August 28, 2024

My Dog Adventures

Odin, pictured below, is the first pet I've had in my life.  He is cute, funny, and he's a good dog.  Here we are clowning around-I think he has the better picture.  Getting used to a thirty-three pound dog running around the house has been a challenge for me, but it's working out.



The ultimate challenge is being around four more dogs at the same time which I did on vacation.  One of them weighs in at one hundred pounds and another one is sixty pounds. In Colorado visiting our two kids, I had a number of entertaining experiences with dogs.

1. On three separate occasions larger dogs jumped me, in a friendly way of course. Once, I struggled to get in a house and one of them got my arm and drew some blood, but it healed quickly.  At another house, the largest dog, went to greet me in the kitchen and I stopped his leap with one hand and balanced on one leg temporarily.  Another day, I was putting a book on a bookshelf and the same dog hit me in the back.  It should have been two minutes for roughing!

2. One night, I sat at the corner of the couch next to the television that I was watching.  Both dogs started to make their move. One, came over and sat down right at or on my feet, which happened a lot-see below.


The other dog sat on the couch and slowly but surely made it's way towards me. I had the pillow up as my border wall and the dog put it's head on the pillow with its paw lying close to my legs.  My body was a pretzel, squeezed in between two dogs.

3. Early one morning, I was watching my dog and the other two  dogs were wrestling and searching for food.  I had had enough and I needed to get away, so I went for a walk.  As I turned a corner, a stray dog appeared near a woman with a dog. She knew the stray and called the owner.  The dog came over to me of course, for some comfort, and I had nothing to give it.  The dog walked in front of me until it was finally picked up by it's owner.

As I approached my daughter's house, I could only think of the song, "How Much is That Doggie in The Window?" In the window was the sixty pound dog waiting for me.  I waved and entered Dog Land again.





No comments:

Post a Comment