Thursday, August 15, 2024

Showing Gratitude Can Change Your Life

When people get in my car there is a lot to see.  One thing that many people miss is the sign I have behind my rear view mirror in the middle of my car:


I'm giving them a ride, but I make it a point of thanking them for the ride. Showing gratitude and thanking people is important, but recently a study showed that it may help us live longer. Apparently, gratitude is good for your mental and physical health.

Another article listed seven ways to express gratitude:

1. Write a thank you note.  When was the last time you sent one or an email thanking someone?

2. Be specific in your thank you.  What is it you are thanking someone for?

3. Thank someone also with a gift. Thanking someone twice is better than once.

4. Keep a gratitude journal. I guess if you have a list of things you are grateful for so you can always look back at it.

5. Show your appreciation for a service industry worker or a health care worker.  That would include me and I have many riders who do verbally thank me and tip me.

6. Make it a priority to take notice of people around you who are doing well.  They said it was important to look for the positive things in life which I agree with 100%.

7. Be sure to show appreciation for yourself.  Asking yourself what you can do better is definitely valuable.


Another thing I have in my car of course is money from 54 countries.  For each country I have written thank you in the language of that country.  I could have used another word, but thank you is a great message. Here are a few of my favorites:

Senegal: jerejef           Ethiopia: ameseghinalehu            China: Xiexie          Georgia: gmad lobt

Philippines: salamat           India: dhayavaad               Scotland: ceart-ma-tha   Albania: faleminderit

Brazil: obrigada            Romania: mutumesc             Thailand: khob khun kha   Bulgaria: blagodarya









No comments:

Post a Comment