Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Watching A Football Game Without Seeing It

For most people watching a football game is pretty routine.  You take your remote control and you press a button or two and you sit back and watch the game.  Some people do it a little differently and they go to a friends house or bar or restaurant and they watch the game there.  Also, there are some people who are on the road driving and they listen to the football game.

Very few people "watch" a football game the way I do.  I'm usually driving for Uber/Lyft on Sunday when my New York Giants play and since I'm not in the area I can't listen to the game on the radio. (I have been told I could download something and listen to it on my phone, but that doesn't really work well for me since I'm using the phone while I drive people around)

I do have the phone set so I can regularly check on the score and occasionally I look at some stats or even see a highlight from the game while waiting for a ride.  Frequently, my son living in Lancaster, PA., will text me comments and the score as I'm driving around.  After the game is over I check online and watch a bunch of the highlights and for me that's "watching" a football game since I don't have a TV anyway.

This Sunday was an unforgettable Giant's game which I'll never remember seeing, since I didn't see it.  My son kept texting me how awful it was going and then suddenly, everything changed.  Our young rookie quarterback was moving the team up and down the field.  My son was excited and so was I.  I texted him, "they have the momentum."  Unfortunately, that text came out, "they have mono."  He replied, "you can't text."

In the final minute after I had arrived home, my son called me and did some play by play.  Actually, it wasn't close to play by play, but it was something.  It was entertaining to hear him tell me on the final play about the missed field goal that gave the Giants the victory, "he missed it, he missed it, he missed it."

It was a fun game and I spoke to my Dad shortly afterwards who enjoyed every minute of it.  In the end, I know that I was the one who missed it, but it's okay.  Some things change as you get older and some things don't seem to be as important as they used to be.  I've watched the Giants play a lot of football over the years and this was one game I didn't watch and I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment