Wednesday, February 5, 2020

It's A Great Day-To Take A Nap?

For those of you who know me(all 6 of you reading this), you know it's not unusual for me to say that a particular day is a great day.  However, it's a great day to take a nap? That is not me, for sure.  Don't misunderstand this, I can close my eyes for 10-15 minutes pretty much any day or any time.  Having worked in the newspaper business for close to ten years and having worked early morning hours for the past few decades, it's easy for me catch a few winks.  I still can fondly remember that purple dinosaur, Barney, and that great theme song to start and end his television show.  My son would be watching the show and I would be watching him, until the song came on at the beginning and I would close my eyes and wake up at the end of the show! (great show)

For me, the definition of taking a nap is when you plan on it, go into a room, maybe set an alarm, or have some wake you, or you expect to sleep at least a half hour or so.  This is something I do rarely,  or almost never.  There is anything wrong with it, but if it's a great day, I'd rather be awake doing something.

Sunday morning really was a great day in the Charleston area.  My passenger was a cadet at the Citadel College.  We were talking about sleeping and how difficult it is for him to wake up each morning at 5 am. (I did tell him I wake up between 3:30-4:30 without an alarm) He said it's really hard to wake up at that hour with people yelling at you, which is something I've never done.  He was heading back to his dorm room and he was going to lock the door and take a nap.

That is the moment it happened.  I looked at the sunny skies, the trees blowing gently, and the temperature already in the mid-60's and I said, "It's a great day to take a nap!"  I asked him if he had ever heard that phrase before and he said he hadn't.  All of a sudden, I could see it on  bumper stickers, on t-shirts, signs at sporing event!  Maybe, this a million dollar idea!

Last week I was a little under the weather and for three straight days I took a scheduled nap since I really needed it.  When was the last time I took a real nap three straight days? I had the chicken pox in 1986.  It might be 34 years! How long is that? Ronald Reagan was President and The New York Mets won The World Series!

So, today was another great day here.  It was 73 degrees and after finishing work relatively early, I came home and did not take a nap.  I was relaxing reading all the great political stories and I started writing this blog.  I was tired and could have rested, but, I resisted.  Our oldest daughter called before I finished this and I went out into the living room to talk with her.  I sat in the comfortable chair next to my wife and I talked and listened and closed my eyes.  I got a few winks, just a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment