Saturday, May 9, 2020

Running The Charleston Bridge

Yesterday morning I was thinking about what I was going to do on the weekend.  My wife needed a few holes dug in the backyard and I was very excited about doing that. We were also going to Home Depot to get some rocks and bricks which was almost as exciting as digging the holes. I knew I was going to run both mornings, but suddenly I had a brainstorm.  I had originally planned on walking the Ravenel bridge in Charleston in the spring, but I was waiting until the weather got a little warmer.

When the virus hit, I started running and I changed my goal.  I figured it would be perfect to run the bridge, which I could do in the fall. I had no big plans this weekend, why wait for the fall?  This morning I got up early as usual and instead of sleeping a couple extra hours as I have been on the weekend, I got ready to drive to Charleston.

It was only 60 degrees when I left the house at 5 am.  It was a nice easy drive as usual and arrived at the bridge at 6:30. I stretched some and put on my winter hat since I knew it is always windy up on the bridge. I started the walk up to the bridge and then began my jog, uphill.

I knew there was an incline, but it went a long way. If it was flat I could of jogged to the middle of the bridge which I think was 1 1/2 miles.  I stopped way before that, walked, and then jogged some more. The incline did flatten out which made it easier. I took some pictures and held on to my camera for dear life, it was windy.

Walkers and runners stay to the left and bikers are in the right lane closest to the traffic. (with a barrier keeping us from the cars)  I sat down for a few minutes towards the middle of the bridge and then made the jog/walk back down.  Not surprisingly, the way down was easier.  I was on the bridge for about 50 minutes and then got in my car and drove home.

It was fun-it was a different kind of Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment