Saturday, May 16, 2020

Sometimes History Repeating Itself Is Good

One real history story and one personal history for you.  I've mentioned before that I have a number of customers I deliver to as a courier who have presidential last names.  The two most common are Johnson and Wilson, but I've had Grant, Kennedy, Carter, Bush, Adams, and Hoover.  I may have missed a couple in that list.  This week I had my first Coolidge, which is not a common name. The woman loved history and I asked her what Coolidge was famous for and of course she knew. He was known as "Silent Cal", because he spoke so little. (like our current President) I told her a very famous story that she had never heard before.

Two women were at a party that Coolidge was at and they were talking about how little he talks.  One woman said that she would bet she could get Coolidge to say more than two words. The bet was on and she walked up to Coolidge and said, "I just made a bet that I could get you to say more than two words." His reply, "you lose." The woman Itold laughed a lot and I'm sure she now has a good story to share with other people, especially ones with the last name of Coolidge.

About two weeks ago I was coming out of a hospital I deliver to and woman had a cart full of Chick-fil-A sandwiches and she asked me if I wanted one.  I've had people offer me a drink or candy at Halloween, but never real food.  I said thank you and I enjoyed eating the chicken sandwich.  This week it happened again and I'm going to have to blame the virus. I was delivering water to a bank lobby and the woman offered me a bottle of water which I politely turned down since I had water in the car.  Then she offered me a "pop", which I haven't heard soda called that in a very long time.  I was able to politely refuse since I hadn't had any soda in two months since visiting New Jersey.

I could not resist her offer of a Mike Subs sandwich though.  On the table were a bunch of sandwiches and I walked out of the bank wearing a mask and carrying a sandwich. (money would have been even better) I was hoping for Turkey or Roast Beef, but it was an Italian sub, which I hadn't had in many, many years.  But, it was free and as my brother-in-law Steve says, "free is for me." I did have lunch a couple hours before, but I reached in the bag to find a bottle of water, chips and I grabbed the sandwich. It was pretty good, but my appetite was going and I wondered, is there another part to this sandwich?

About 12-15 years ago I was delivering magazines down in the Old Bridge/Raceway Park area and I was going to visit the Pick-It Deli. I had eaten a large sub there a few times and I was looking forward to it. I was really hungry and with a car full of magazines I stopped in and ordered the sub and asked them to cut it into fives since it's easier to eat while driving. It was a very busy day and the sub made the day special, it was great. I think it was corned beef, pastrami, and turkey with Russian dressing. Each part of the sub was wrapped up so I had a bag with a lot of garbage in it and it was messy.

I was done eating, but still hungry and I remember thinking I could eat a couple more of those little sub pieces. It was time to throw the bag out and I reached in and found one more piece of sub. I was thrilled and it was the best tasting piece of them all, since it was unexpected.

Fast forward back to this week and yes, history repeated itself when I found another part of this free sandwich.  It was not as good as the sub from the Pick-It Deli, but it was free and I did enjoy it. Next time history repeats itself I'm hoping for Roast Beef or Turkey though.



No comments:

Post a Comment