Sunday, May 3, 2020

Rod Serling appears in Myrtle Beach

"The Twilight Zone" is one of my top three television shows of all-time. For the past six weeks I've been doing a daily post on the Uber/Lyft Facebook site helping drivers get through this difficult time.  I've been doing some positive posts and also discussing different areas related to driving for Uber/Lyft.  Below is my post today which I thought some of you might be entertained with:


(The picture is in black and white) The announcer, Rod Serling, of the Twilight Zone speaks: “You are looking at a parking lot, it is empty. This is just not any parking lot, it’s an airport lot and it could be Anytown, USA. It’s a lot usually filled with dozens of Uber and Lyft drivers parked every which way, waiting for planes to land and customers to drive. What you’re about to see is a driver, lonely but long-winded, who is struggling to find an answer. When the riders come back, how does he talk to them while he’s wearing a mask? He will find his answer, today, in this lot…in the Twilight Zone.” ((He drives into the lot and parks his van and opens all his doors pacing back and forth) “My voice is muffled wearing a mask, no one can hear me sitting behind me. What if I clipped on a microphone to my shirt like they do on stage and I could talk into it? Can you clip one inside a mask? (This is your driver. We are traveling at 55 mph and our time of arrival is 2 pm.) If I talked a lot louder without a microphone, would they hear me? Would it be annoying? I could get a portable microphone for the back so I could hear them. They could pass the mic around like they are on a game show.

(looking in the van he gets another idea) The shelf above the front dashboard, I could tape pieces of paper that hang down and write with markers. The first one, WHERE ARE YOU FROM? Then, like a flip chart the next one would say, HOW LONG HAVE YOU LIVED THERE? Maybe one or two other questions and then the next sheets of paper for locals: HOW LONG HAVE YOU LIVED HERE? WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS? I could point to these.  How do I tell my favorite stories? Maybe a little tape recorder? I could tape 6-10 stories and play one depending on who I’m driving. Or, I could type them up on separate sheets and give one out? Or, maybe a loose- leaf notebook with the stories inside and my favorite rider quotes, that could work. I got it-I’ll do all of these and alternate between riders!” (Rod Serling’s voice comes back: “It’s only one lonely driver of many across the country, still searching for his next ride. Today, he found an answer on how to communicate, but he created another problem. How does he get all this done before the next plane arrives, for him, in The Twilight Zone.” Tomorrow's post on Magnificent Monday: The young rider who impresses everyone. I don’t know about you, but because of the virus we’re getting a number of discounts from companies we do business with.

No comments:

Post a Comment