Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Costco's Finest

With apologies to my reader in Denver, Colorado, it's time to talk chicken-Costco Chicken. I have eaten it a few times now and it is really good.  It is also larger than most rotisserie chickens.  But, the real story behind this chicken is the cost- only $4.99.  You really can't find a rotisserie chicken for that price anymore and for a very good reason.

Costco has not changed its price since 2009, thirteen years ago. By keeping the price low, it draws more people into the store which of course makes them money.  But to make money, sometimes you have to lose money.  According to my research (imagine that, I'm doing chicken research), Costco loses between $30-$40 million dollars a year on their rotisserie chicken.  Pictured below is the last one I had, before it was devoured.



In 2020, Costco sold 101 million chickens which translates of course to half a billion dollars worth of chicken. Just so you know, I just ate a big dinner and I figured I could write this blog without getting hungry. The chickens are injected with a special saline solution to add flavor, but it has been recognized as some of the healthiest processed food you can eat.

Many businesses get criticized for their prices, but Costco should be recognized for this amazing product that is still one of the best buys you can make.  There is even a Costco Fan Page on Facebook that has 18,000 followers on it.  I'm going to have to check that out.  I am certain that my reader in Denver, Colorado will not be on that page, since she hates rotisserie chicken.  My daughter has watched me eat way too many rotisserie chickens to be able to eat one. I admit it, it's my fault. However, I loved every bite of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment