Monday, February 7, 2022

How Much Money Can You Make BUYING Beer?

The title is not a misprint, as ridiculous as it might sound.  For anyone to buy beer and make money it's odd, but for me to do it, it's completely ridiculous. I'm not much of a beer drinker, it's never done anything for me. Some years I've had one beer in the whole year and I'm sure since college there have been many years I never had a beer. I do remember one year I had four beers, one on four occasions.  

In college, well that was a different story.  I had my first beer on February 19, 1979. I was 18 1/2 years old and we had a big snowstorm and my college was closed.  My roommate took me to the pub and treated me to my first beer. I wasn't impressed with the beer. However, there was one day in college I had four beers.  I have no idea why, it really makes no sense.  Although I'm not sure drinking four beers is supposed to make sense. (especially when I don't believe in "supposed to.")

This past Friday night I picked up a guy in his early thirties for my last ride of the night. He had a rough day.  His wallet was stolen at work and he asked me if I would do him a big favor. He had no identification to do it, but would I buy a small case of beer for him (four bottles) and he would pay me $20 to do it? He had a rough day and I figured I'd help him out, but I told him I'd only accept $10 from him. He agreed and I told him my lack of interest in drinking and I've never gone into a place to buy a beer.

When I walked in, it really did feel strange. I went to pay for the beer and they checked my identification, because they are required to check every one who buys alcohol. When I got in the car, my rider handed me two twenty dollar bills and said, "I want you to have it, I really appreciate what you did." The beer cost $17 and he gave me $40, so I made $23 buying beer.

This may be the only time in my life that I walk into a place and buy beer and I have $23 to show for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment