Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Driving 54 hours in Six Days

It sounds like a lot of hours. It was about 9 hours a day and 600 miles each day.  We did three days out to Colorado, four days there, and then three days back to Myrtle Beach. I did do all the driving, but as a longtime driver and with a couple hours of breaks during the day, the driving was not a problem.  I was looking forward to driving through the mid-west for the first time and I was not disappointed. Here are some highlights and some pictures(my wife and I took) as we went through South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, and Colorado.


It was very different driving than going north on Rt. 95 towards New Jersey.  We had only one delay of twenty minutes which is far less than traveling North.  There were more trucks, but we did notice a lot  more trucks going east when we were coming home. There was considerably less traffic also which was great.  One of our only location stops was a very nice local park in Spartanburg, S.C.


The mountains and winding hills in North Carolina and Tennessee was the only difficult driving. Arriving in Lebanon, Tennessee, right before Nashville, we barely got inside before this storm hit. It didn't last long, but it was a heavy rain which we're used to in South Carolina.


One beautiful sunrise for you.  I took this picture from the garage of our hotel in downtown Kansas City, Kansas. This picture doesn't look real, but it is. It was amazing to see and I was lucky to be loading the car at the right time.


People always say that between Kansas City, Kansas and Denver there's really nothing to see, but I don't agree. I saw flat lands, farm land, beautiful skies and the wind turbines that are blowing all over as you drive out on Rt. 70. Below is a picture of the wind turbines as we drove alongside them.  On the way home some of the blades were being transported and this is what it looked like as we passed it. They are very large and very important also.





One of the terrific views is below when you finally reach Colorado and about an hour later you start seeing some mountains. Before you know it, mountains are everywhere and I will blog about some of the best mountain views we had.  As I requested, when we entered Colorado, my wife played "Rocky Mountain High", by John Denver. His song is one of two state songs that Colorado has.



The sunrise leaving Colorado was spectacular. I was driving, but this was one of the most beautiful sights we had traveling and there were no mountains.



It was some of the most fun I've ever had driving, even better than the hurricane I once delivered newspapers in or the blizzard I once drove home from work in.  I highly recommend the drive.



No comments:

Post a Comment